Thursday, March 26, 2020

QUARANTINED GRAMMA

Yep, my kids won't let me go anywhere ... not even to get the mail!  Kate picked up a prescription for me today ... and wiped it with a lysol wipe before giving it to me.  She has an acquaintance who has Covid19 and is being VERY cautious.  

Technically, we are on Spring Break ... but I'm trying to do some fun learning activities with the boys every day. I don't tell them I'm teaching them, I just say who wants to play with Gramma!??  Trust me, they don't always say yes ... Mr. 6 will say "no thank you, Gramma, but thanks for offering".

Mr 9 has learned to video chat with friends ... giggling and showing each other their room and toys and books and games ... all while spending an hour on Gramma's phone (since I'm always home!).  It's a bit of work for me to always be "ready" for someone to look at my face!

Mr. 6 can make Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls by himself!  From setting the oven and the timer and asking a grown up to take them out of the oven.  He frosted some of his favorite shapes (um, WHO wants a plain looking cinnamon roll?) .. a heart or a snail or a snake or an 8, putting on frosting and serving Mom and Dad in bed.

They both can get their own breakfast but still love it when I offer.  B loves egg and bacon sandwich and D loves pancakes.  Some days they make their own lunch (supervised by Mom) and they always bring their dishes to the kitchen when done.  I usually put out a small snack about 4pm and let them know their "rations" are at the table, they can eat it or not.  Fruit, cheese, goldfish, etc.

Today I gave them my mason jar of candy (treat jar).  I asked if the would sort the candy, count each kind of candy and make a chart.


Jelly beans, mini m&m's, Valentine hearts and Hershey kisses

Mr. 6's chart ... jelly beans by color (?)

Mr. 9's chart of family preferences of candy bars

And a few days ago, they got to go on a camping trip ... in the living room


They kept each other up, woke each other up to use the bathroom then the sun woke them up at 6am.  Needless to say, they both fell asleep the afternoon after!  In the tents!

Tomorrow we may have paper caterpillar races (based on a MESSY trick that Poppa taught Mr. 9 ... and his mother ... so every time we go to a restaurant, they do it)



So we are going to try this DRY method ... blowing them through a straw



Alexa has been very busy.  How many people died in the Civil War? (620,000)  Alexa ~ play "One Eyed Purple People Eater"  Who was the BEST president (everyone has their favorite but Abe Lincoln scores the highest in surveys)(she's such a diplomat)

The Montessori school has short videos from the Spanish teacher.  Each room has suggestions of things to do and updates their posts once or twice a week right now.  Write the world's longest list of animals.  Keep a daily journal.  Practice telling time and duration of time.  Write and illustrate a story.  And so on.

I have a handful of food ideas ... making bread, making gummy bears, making waffles, cheese quesadillas, etc.

Stay tuned.  So far everyone is getting along!

7 comments:

  1. The memories of being quarantined will stick with the boys their entire lives, and you're making them good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Their Mom is a nervous wreck with anxiety. I have happy memories from the big blizzard in the late 70's in Ohio.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are a cool grandmother. I'm kind of interested in the caterpillar races myself:))
    They are lucky you are so creative. Like Jean said, they will remember these days in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I practiced making one but the measurements ARE important. 6" square of paper and the folding in both directions. Lots of YouTube videos. I want to get it right before show them how to!

      Delete
  3. Fun ideas. I'm going to pass them on to DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you guys are doing great with what you are having to work with! Seems like the boys are thriving too in such an environment! Glad your daughter/family are concerned for your health and trying to keep you safe!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel like a Queen!! I was feeling punk yesterday (headache tummy trouble) and Mom put a sign on my door! So the boys slipped notes UNDER the door! Nice to be wanted.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...