Thursday, March 19, 2020

VIRTUAL HAPPY HOUR

People are continuing to HOARD items.  Our closest grocery store is now offering "vulnerable people" shopping times, 7am til 9am, two days a week.  I'm heading over at 6:45 to see if it is possible to get a few of the hoarding items (hamburger, meat in general, fresh produce, bread and milk).  I hope they are rationing!

WLLO meetings have been on video conference this past week and WOW!  I like it.  Some other Villages are offering virtual happy hour and we may try one as well.  


Not all of our members are tech savvy but those who are may be interested.  It seems much more personal when I can see the faces.  Although the downside is, I have to put ON my face...I didn't for a meeting today and no one asked me if I were sick, so maybe I'm not as ghostly without mascara as I thought.

I've been calling family and friends.  Scanning in old photos from shoebox full of lots of duplicates and telling the boys stories when they see photos of their Mom when she was their age!  Emailing socially much more. And .... NOT BUYING ON AMAZON so they can supply necessities rather than my luxuries.  Backed up my computer (which has been shutting itself down at least once a day) and learned how to transfer all the stuff on the old laptop to a new one, should I just order one from Apple (they used to do that for me but it looks easy enough, just time consuming).



This morning the boys played doctor to care for all the stuffed animals who had coronavirus.  I do believe they found a cure!  Braeden has written and mailed two letters to school friends.  It was a great learning experience as he has never addressed an envelope.  Also learned that some new ink pens have a plastic protector over the tip that has to be peeled off.  He loved that so much that he did ALL of the pens!   We played some learning games.  They watched a short program on making plastic from oyster shells.  I think we will visit a National Park virtually tonight.  

Oregon schools are closed til April 28 ... and I have a feeling they will be closed until September.  

Stay home and save the world.

5 comments:

  1. As bad as this pandemic is there are going to be some good things come out of it in terms of families growing closer and us learning to appreciate the small things in our lives again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True words. As long as we can all go out for some fresh air and sunshine, I think we can handle this! Kids were finally able to buy some hamburger and eggs, so we are good for a while.

      I may have to get up EARLY to use the special "senior hours" for more access to hard to get items.

      Delete
  2. I think schools will be closed for the rest of this school year also. I wish the Senior Shopping hours were 9-11:00, you know how difficult it is for me to get up early. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem! Our Walmart is doing 6am! UGH! I may try Safeway tomorrow at 7 ....

      Delete
  3. I thought about doing a virtual potluck at work. Everyone post what they would have brought in. That could be fun. I like virtual happy hour, work might frown on it! Seems like you have a good attitude, along with the boys. I think this might even be a "good" thing. It might keep people off social media and find worthwhile things to do with their kids.

    Hubby has been taking advantage of going out when it is seniors only shopping hour at the various stores. We aren't hoarding. We are replenishing and then some in that son and his family seem to have not too many concerns about keeping reasonably stocked so we are basically trying to stock 2 households with essentials.

    This too will pass!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...