Thursday, March 12, 2020

PARENTING IN 2020

Raising children is a a lot of work.  Even in a three adult household!


I am mostly in my room, especially after the boys get home.  They knock and pop in many times wanting to borrow (insert your choice ... tape, scissors, markers, pencils, paper, stapler, step stool, grabber, and so on)  I love it when one comes in just to hang or research something on the computer (think dung beetles, big foot, toys in the "olden" days, weapons, candy).  They are also allowed to make ONE copy a day .. sometimes GI Joe or stuffed animal, a special page in a book, treasure maps, something that belongs to the other).

Usually when they want to borrow the step stool or grabber, I follow them out to understand what's happening.  Yesterday, at 5pm, Mr 6 wanted to microwave four sausage patties for his SECOND snack of the afternoon.  After much discussion, he settled for one now ... and if he ate all of his dinner and was still hungry, he could have more.

Sometimes one or the other wants to take a shower in the morning.  We ask them the night before (so they can get up a little earlier) and there is not time for both of them to take one (they don't like "sharing" that any more).  One night Mr. 9 wanted to take a "soaky" bath with boats and soldiers and weapons.  Of course, Mr. 6 wanted to do it after.   But, it was too close to bedtime so I promised him a big bath on the next day.  He begged for a two hour bath and I compromised for 55 minutes.  

I ran the bath while he was having dinner, got the foaming colored cleanser, a bath bomb and a surprise rubber ducky.  I brought in our sand timer (15 minutes) and told him he could have TWO timers worth.  We have never seen a child enjoy a bath so much.  Candlelight, heater on, fresh towels AND a washcloth.  He fell asleep 2 minutes after his head hit the pillow.


Last night, they both needed showers from playing in the mud but there was much hue and cry they both clamored no way!  Dad said they could eat a popsicle IN the shower if they both shared.

Parenting.  I hope we stay one step ahead of those two!  Need to reread the Art of Negotiating.

6 comments:

  1. Let it to little boys to come up with eating popsicles in the shower. LOL Those boys are keeping you young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we use for bribery?!! They were in awe?!

      Delete
  2. That bath you prepared for the boy sounds like so much fun for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He not played with the red rubber ducky bubbles and foam.

      Delete
  3. I like how all help out with raising the two boys! They will benefit from your involvement and your love and care for them!! I would love one of your special baths like you prepared for your grandson. I am trying to picture the popsicle being eaten in the shower!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both ecstatic.... shower was done when the last drop dripped. Straight the bed. Love those sweet bathroom scents

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...