Thursday, February 11, 2016

RAINY DAYS

Ugh!  Even in Maui, when it rains it pours!

But not "rain" rain, one of those something breaks followed by several more things ..... all while I have company.  That part is good since John is a handy guy.  But he thinks HE should be doing all the fixing!  No way!! It's his vacation too!

First he noticed that half of my fishtail palm was dying.  John and Lindee had already started pulling off dead fronds and giving the ferns haircuts.  I did NOT want them to tackle that ... it is pretty tall so I had to call in reinforcements.  I also commissioned them to prune and clean and blow so my friends are out of business in the yard work department.

I asked John to look at the toilet in my bathroom which seemed to have a slow slow slow leak at the bottom.  Yep!  He thinks it is the wax seal that needs replaced ... no problem, I can fix that ... just pull up the toilet, yada yada yada.  I called a plumber anyway.  Good time to put in a "comfort height" commode.  Yes, John, we could have gone to Home Depot and bought a toilet, lugged it in and out of the car, and you could have installed it.  But toilets are VERY heavy and no sprained backs on my watch.  Plus the old one gets hauled away.  I thought it was pretty affordable.

When I returned home this morning from my pedicure, the garage door would only go up, and not down.  YIKES!  It did that one day while my other guests were here so he just cleaned the sensors and all was well.  This time, they are totally out of alignment.  The garage door repair guy told me how to do it but I think it takes two because I've been trying for 30 minutes, back and forth.  It probably is time to get a whole new system but you know me and wanting to procrastinate .... especially where $$$ is involved.

John fixed both sliding doors (handles that were loose, screens that wouldn't slide and now the glass moves with just one finger!!  Since he was in the bathroom supervising, he also noticed the window there didn't close all the way ... that is now working smoothly as well.  My kitchen sink is draining fast again and he is going to replace my faucet in my bathroom ....

So this old house is winning this week.  I'm getting a little tired of the deluge!

5 comments:

  1. Jeez, would John like to come to Michigan to "vacation." Sounds like a good deal for both of you. Glad you are keeping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John sounds like not only a wonderful house guest but one heck of a handy guy! I'm sure he is happy to do these things for you since you are so kind to open your home to him and Lindee. I hope all three of you have a wonderful upcoming weekend. Please have some shave ice for me at Ululani's - strawberry, guava and passion orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would they both like to take a vacation in beautiful Michigan? They could stay here!! I have lots of things John could look into and furniture that Linda could move and vacuum behind/under. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would they both like to take a vacation in beautiful Michigan? They could stay here!! I have lots of things John could look into and furniture that Linda could move and vacuum behind/under. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it always the way? One thing breaks and then all hell breaks loose. And why does it have to happen when you have company? It always seemed like something would break when my sister used to visit. You were smart to get a taller toilet. When we replace the one in the master, I'm definitely getting one. It sounds like you have some pretty nice friends. I'm sure John liked being able to help.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...