Thursday, July 18, 2019

OOOOPS!

This island is very big ... about 170 square miles!  Long (40 miles) and skinny with lots of harbors and inlets and different kinds of beaches.  It's mostly rural and has six large towns.  We are staying in Coupeville.


It's about ten minutes from our rental to the heart of downtown  Coupeville.  Someone recently bought the old, outdated bookstore and brought it back to life.  Coupeville has many, many restaurants from a hot dog stand by the dock to the $$$$ Oystercatcher .. with many in between.  Yesterday we ate at the end of the dock, explored the low tide (found a live mussel) and spent part of the $5 gift certificates to the candy store, bestowed on each boy from Aunt Janet.


Oh my, did it take time to choose!  All the old fashioned stuff from my childhood ... wax bottles filled with sugar water, realistic seashells filled with chocolate, and lots of things in big jars to choose from.

This morning, the boys slept in (9:30!) and made their own breakfast which gave them enough energy to play on the stairway for over an hour!


Now the four of them are off to explore Fort Casey.  It's sunny and 70 and vacation perfect!

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to be on an island right now with temperatures in the 70s. Perfect vacation place? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so mild here ... a bit chilly in the evening and early morning (hate me more?). I could hardly get out of the covers this morning. My nephew is in Taipei ... 83 degrees feels like 98. Usually warmer! UGH.

    Kidults are going kayaking and the boys and I will be on our own for a few hours. Maybe a different beach to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely time you are having.
    I would have to send the parents and the kids out to play, while I stayed home and enjoyed a bit of peacefulness.
    You are just a wonderful Gramma!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get plenty of "Happy Hour" (quiet) time. I run out of steam in the early evening and this time I have the master suite. They boys are laying in bed next to me playing shark games on the devices, while I get my computer work done. It's noon ... then we head out to drop the parents for kayaking and we will go exploring. Most likely, when I retrieve them ... I'll take the rest of the day off!!

      Delete
  4. Coupeville sounds like a delightful town to explore! I think I would have a hard time choosing what candies to get in that candy store! The boys looked like they were having a good time playing on those stairs. They can come up with some great imaginative play!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we've visited the Honey Bear EVERY day! Fun to spend 30 minutes choosing $0.50 of candy!

      This house has a fenced in backyard with a deck on the 2nd level for dropping toy soldiers with parachutes. Or play with the dog. And the stairs are continual fun!

      We dragged along their bikes but haven't used them yet. Maybe this afternoon!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...