Thursday, July 25, 2019

THURSDAY MUSINGS

I feel so grateful.  About so many things.

Maybe because I've been watching the series Little House on The Prairie for a few weeks.  Which reminds me of growing up in my large, lower middle class family with six children.  I don't know HOW they did it but I never felt "poor" even though we went without so many things that other kids had.  

We lived in a 3 bedroom one bath ranch style home on about 1/4 acre.  (Until I was in high school and then they added on a master suite and a tiny family room).  Somehow they came up with the money for some of us to attend Catholic school.  Although I didn't have room for sleepovers or even play dates, I had a houseful of people to play with.  We had four huge maple trees which were perfect for climbing up and reading a book.

My Mom (my Dad next to her) is on the right, holding my older brother 
(I was still a gleam in my father's eye)

My Mom came from a family of 11 children and so we have lots and lots of cousins.  One Aunt had a large basement so Christmas was always celebrated there.  We had one Aunt who never married and had a lifelong "roommate" who always joined us for holiday feasts.  My Mom was an amazing and adventurous cook!  She loved cooking and all six of her kids love cooking.  I think even my four brothers do all the cooking for their families.  I still have some handwritten recipe cards.  From my mother-in-law also.  

My Mom is 3rd from left.  The two just left of her 
are the only remaining Whipples of that generation.


Until most of the kids had flown the nest, their only vacations were camping.  For their 25th anniversary, they did indulge on a week long cruise!  Then vacations were to visit the out of state kids!  Three of us moved to the San Francisco area and Mom said if one more moved, they'd be right behind!  Now that I have my own kidlet, I sure know how she felt.

Luckily, my kidlet and I are very attached and will always have our nests close together, if not the same nest as we have now.

And for this relationship, I am most grateful.

4 comments:

  1. It's fun to look back and join the past to the present the way you've done here. Great memories, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such happy memories. Sibling order, I'm sure!

      Winter project is to add some of these photos to the genealogy that Judy put together!

      Delete
  2. My mom had 9 siblings in her family. She mentioned they always had want they needed and some of what they wanted and always felt loved. My grandmother made so much from scratch, sewed clothes, etc. My mom said they had toys like jacks and cards and balls to occupy their time and were encouraged to go to the library to get books to read.

    Sounded like you came from a loving family with great parents!

    We moved down to Phoenix from Prescott, Arizona to be close to son and his family when the grandson came along. Being 10 minutes apart is a great thing to be a "hands on" granny even in the 110 degree heat!

    We do truly have so much to be grateful for!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are both lucky to be so close. Let's just hope they don't move away!!!! I love living in Oregon and not sure I would leave! Perfect weather!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...