Friday, August 25, 2017

Let the Whining Begin

I was elected (barely) to our Condo HOA just one week ago.

So far, I'd say 22 phone calls and 100 emails.  It's hard for me to imagine being so upset that someone cut through the landscaping (old bark chips) "TOO CLOSE TO MY WINDOWS" (about 6 ft away) instead of using the sidewalk.  The complainer has "serious heart trouble" so this better get remedied quickly.  (I don't have much sympathy as MY sidewalk is just 3 feet from my window ... and my landscape currently looks like this:
(a lovely crop of weeds!)

Yeh, the former Landscape Chair (who lives in my building!) had the grass removed, rocks and bark dust to replace it.  And those scraggly shrubs are to block our view of the parking lot!  I tried to explain (I was on the committee at that time) that the landscape workers would just blow all the bark chips away before the year was up ...

The Chair of a committee recently quit in a huff and now wants the position back ... for the good of the community.  And is irate that I asked for all binders and documentation to be returned for the next committee chair (and no, I don't think this Board will have the person back).  This is not Junior High where you can stomp your foot, gather up your toys and huff on home.  By the way, this person did a lot of backstabbing and gossipping in our 45 minute call.  Fortunately, just listening and not saying much of anything worked wonders.  We all just need to be heard?

Our annual community picnic is Sunday and the outgoing chair invited some people who no longer even live here (because SHE likes them!).  Sorry!  Next year it is CURRENT residents only because that outgoing chair is continually grumbling about the cost (I spent $32 on decorations).  She hired BBQ ribs to be delivered ... instead of hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on the spot by Board members)(which is a GOOD thing as it is supposed to be 97 on Sunday!)

There are just 112 condo homes here.  Already I can see what I previously assumed ... 5% of the people make 800% of the complaints.  Most households are older single ladies.  Methinks they have too much time on their hands!  

This volunteer position is really exhausting!

But enough of my whining!  I'm getting to meet more residents and I am taking walkabouts several times a day.  Started doing the walks for knee exercise, and am delighted to greet people on my little journey.  Everyone has something to tell me.  I always ask them to email me as I am not able to write it down while I'm out for my walk or on my way to a meeting ... and I usually have a grandson with me.  I think I use the boys as protection from anyone getting angry at me ....

Interestingly, most people put aside their differences for the potluck so stay tuned.  I am bringing semi-homemade potato salad.  Bought it at Costco then put it in a nice serving bowl (ten pounds of it!), add hard boiled egg slices, paprika and some fresh parsley!  Most people assume I made it all myself ... but if they ask, I divulge my secret recipe!



13 comments:

  1. LOL about the potato salad. I just made some today to take over to my niece's house tomorrow night because my sister is in town. I put too much mustard in it. Oh, well.

    My hat is off to you. This kind of volunteer job is not up my alley. People just don't think sometimes. I remember when I volunteered at my son's school. When I tried to get mothers to bring some cookies (homemade or store-bought) or donate 25 cents for drinks, paper products, etc., a few of them gave me all sorts of excuses. See what I mean? People just don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potato salad. But I never make it ... just buy a good brand and doctor it up a bit.

    People! The rules are for everyone else!! Cracks me up. Even (and especially) previous Board members!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the queen of doctoring store-bought salads to put a homemade spin to them. In this day and age when so many people work, it's a common occurrence, I think.

    I would not want your volunteer job but someone has to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite semi-homemade dessert? Brownies (from a mix) then peanut butter cups on top til melty ... spread like frosting. Some use York Peppermint Patties.

      Today I was briefed by outgoing chair ... two hours and my mind is NUMB!

      Delete
    2. That's a great brownie tip! I could buy the brownies and melt the peanut butter cups on top and make it even simpler.

      Delete
  4. For some reason, I find the poster more Florida or Hawaii. This picnic is in Oregon, right? Redwoods and lakes and mountains and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, each year our party has a different theme ... Hawaiian, Cowboy, Sports, etc. This year was Pink Flamingo! I'm thinking next year 1930's!!???

      Delete
    2. 1930's would be cool. Do they dress in costumes for the theme?

      Delete
    3. We always hope so (and offer a prize). This year, my flamingo socks were the best of show!

      Delete
  5. Hi, this is my first visit to your blog. I am a recent widow so your blog name caught my attention.
    I love your secret potato salad recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make everything from scratch ... now in my mid-60's, everything is semi-homemade!

      Delete
    2. Sorry that you have joined our widow club. Email me if you ever have any questions! We are a village!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...