Friday, August 18, 2017

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

I was nominated for our condo HOA Board, got a one year term (by one vote) and was chosen to be the Chair.  I'm still settling in on an appropriate title ... but will answer to most anything and it is usually BJ (instead of JB).  No worries.



Two members left the Board with one year remaining of their two year term.  Each had completed a previous two year term and Meagan and her three children under the age of 5 bought a house a moved out of their two bedroom unit here.  And Gary is still working pretty much full time but mostly didn't enjoy knowing any disparaging things about his neighbors.  He's a friend to all and knows everyone (who has lived here more than two weeks) by name and facial recognition.

I have been here seven years and personally know maybe 20% of our Owners.  My goal is to visit each household and explain that I am very approachable, even though I mostly keep to myself here.  Mary Beth (past chair for four years) was also elected for one more year but mostly to train all of us newbies.  

She has been a mother hen for 17 years.  If someone calls her at 10pm to say their kitchen sink is blocked, she walks over to at least be moral support.  Your cat not return home at midnight like usual?  Call Mary Beth, she will go out with you while you call his name.  That is just her style (although not with me, for some reason!).  Probably because I have never called on her for help!!  If my sink plugs up, we call a plumber!  So I'm glad she is still on the Board and hope she gets re-elected for another two years.  People just know and trust her ... which is such a good thing.

She always listens to each person's situation, nodding at the right moment.  Then moves the meeting on.

The hardest part for me will be sitting in front of the room and public speaking.  I blush easily and I'm sure my facial expressions tell everyone what is going on in my head.  I may have to feign hot flashes and use a paper fan to hide myself!


For me, I prefer email so that there is a paper trail when we get to resolution.  Or send it on to lawyers.  Fortunately, lawyers only get involved every other year or so.  Currently we have a hoarder whose treasures now extend to the deck and all the way down the communal stairway.  I think a lot of residents here prefer phone calls but the boys play games on my phone a lot and I don't answer if I'm with others or driving.  So we will see just how this best works.

Stay tuned as to how this new volunteer position fits into my little old life!  And Long Live the Queen!

7 comments:

  1. Your Majesty, something is going to have be done about that hoarder. Oh, and I want to plant a Mulberry tree in memory of my deceased husband. The other day, I saw a dog without a leash, can something be done about that?
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha ha ha! You've got it down for sure! Now we have a lady who doesn't want people to cut through the landscape from their car to their condo ... as they are way TOO CLOSE to her unit. Um ... NOT! The sidewalk here is closer to my unit than the short cut is to her unit! She has four bright orange cones out with signs telling people to use the sidewalk ...

      Delete
  2. Your blog is going to get more and more interesting as you settle into your new position. The hoarder situation...how in the heck did that get so out of hand that she's in a community staircase! A ticket from the fire marshal might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prev Bd Chair met with Fire Marshall ... but unless they get called out to a fire ... nothing they can do. Same with police. Nothing pre-emptive. We are now working with County mental health. Sad, sad, sad.

      Delete
  3. I see lots of blog fodder in your future. I'll be interested in how the hoarder situation is resolved. Long live the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much fodder! Maybe I should start a second blog!?

      Delete
  4. i look forward to reading more about your HOA saga.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...