Wednesday, August 30, 2017

AWKWARD BOARD CHAIR

Tonight is the first Board meeting since I became the Chair.

Our first item on the agenda is always Open Forum.  This is the time to speak up if you have a question or concern.  The underground connection is telling me to brace myself.  The mean girls are going to lay it all out for me!

Some exciting topics:

  • We want to elect the Landscape Chair ... not have the Board appoint one (as specified in our ByLaws and as we have done for 500 years). Because they want one of their cronies in that coveted position ... one who will not work within the budget.
  • We want to purchase bark mulch for $35,000 although our budget is $15,000.  And it will be 1.5 inches thick rather than our Landscape vendor suggests 3 inch minimum.

  • We want to fire the Landscape vendor.  Even though we have not vetted any replacement vendor.  Because THIS Vendor really does take direction ONLY from the Landscape Chair or a Board member.  Not their every little whim.  (How rude!)  But we can't have 112 people asking them to do "just this one little thing for me".
  • We want a phone and address directory of our community.  So we can send unwanted political dissertations (a past Chair used confidential email addresses that were for Board eyes only) and news about our upcoming productions (for our one thespian Diva).  Too bad if people want their privacy!  We may email all Owners and ask them if they want to opt in to such a directory?  That seem reasonable? 
I am also going to resign from newsletter production.  Mainly I'm tired of doing it (after 7 years) and it's like pulling teeth to get committee updates or ideas for articles.  My buddy, and former chair, is the only one who thanks me more than once a year.  Most of all, it seems like a conflict of interest for the Chair to be in control of communication.

Earlier this year, when we had such a complaining neighbor (Poopy Patty), I made up a pretend newsletter .... oh how I would love to do the final issue like this!



















 









8 comments:

  1. Good luck tonight. Hope no one breaks your arm so you can't type and let us know how it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Only 15 owners showed up and everyone was VERY supportive and not combative at all. What a relief!

      Delete
    2. That's great but isn't it sad that so few people in a complex actually take an interest in meeting like this, yet they will complain afterward if things go through they don't like.

      Delete
    3. Apparently, the fewer the audience, the happier overall. Only when people are mad do they make time to show up. As an Owner, I go because I like to hear what is on the horizon!

      Delete
  2. Let me see--you wanted this position?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really ... but felt it was time to take my turn. It is more work than I anticipated but so far, so good!

      Delete
  3. I read your reply to Jean. I'm glad things went well. I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...