Sunday, August 28, 2022

CANCER HAS HIT HOME



It's not as dreadful as it sounds but somehow generic blog names do not get as many reads!  I went to the dermatologist on Friday and had the most thorough evaluation ever.  On Saturday, MyChart had her two page synopsis that was written with great care and detail.  I feel like I have the best ever medical team!

I made this appointment in October 2021 ... yes!  Almost a year ago.  She explained that a lot of people did not do doctor appointments during Covid then when it was safer, everyone made a date with all their various doctors and dentists.

The bad news is she had to biopsy three suspicious spots. None that I would have ever seen ... behind my knee and two on my back. 

Others that looked worrisome to me were nothing.  It’s so interesting to me that things I notice on my skin are never anything but common Seborrheic Keratosis (barnacles) Cherry angioma (new to me), petechiae (thin skin … like bruising easily … she thinks maybe I cause them myself at night, fingernails barely touching my arm).

The worst news was that the spot on my upper thigh that I thought was a spider bite that never returned to normal skin color is lichen sclerosis!  On my thigh!  It's the most disgusting condition.  No known cause and no cure.  I've had it "down under" since 2018.  Little did I know it could appear on other places on my body.  It's not contagious.  It is more common in menopausal  women.

Annoying but so less stressful than my brother in law who has prostate cancer and is on last resort treatment, hormone therapy and radiation.  Or my sister in law who had a double mastectomy in December last year and is still on chemotherapy and still pretty bald.  I kinda hate complaining.

The good news??? I asked for advice for deep moisturizer for my face … damp skin and Aquaphor!!!

4 comments:

  1. Dermatologist appointments are the worst, ain't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I spent my youth getting sunburns as there were no sunscreens back then. Now I am as pale as Nicole Kidman ... like I am wearing white hosiery! Learning to embrace healthy ....

      Delete
  2. Good thing you got checked out! I hope your results come back clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind Dermatologist appointments -- it's the only woman Dr. I have. Was glad to get itchy barnacles on my back removed over multiple appointments years ago. Had a really bad sunburn when I was young which probably was the cause -- a danger for a redhead. Did get one small biopsy on my arm as pre-cancer but all has worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...