Sunday, November 28, 2021

THE DEVIL MAKES HIM DO IT

Deacon will be 8 in early March.  Should he live that long.

He has been ornery since birth and it continues.  Actually, ornery is not the right word, according to the Webster dictionary.  Mischievous is more like it. 

mis·chie·vous

/ˈmisCHivəs/


adjective

  1. (of a person, animal, or their behavior) causing or showing a fondness for causing trouble in a playful way.
Before he was two, I remember him saying "I not have it" when he was sitting on his brother's special Lego. 

His curiosity shows in so many ways.  Sometimes he makes a "sandwich" of everything on his plate, names it and then eats it.  For instance au gratin potatoes, chicken and asparagus was dubbed "Wednesday Triple Decker.  And he finished off the entire plate.  The other morning he was in the kitchen, smelling all the spices and herbs.  He invited me to join him and then we would vote yes or no if we should use it in cooking.  We didn't dispose of any because sometimes these taste better when cooked in a dish with other food.



Imagination is also a big suit of his.  For a year or two he had an imaginary friend, Jim.  Jim was a pretty good influence on him.  When I heard Deacon whispering I asked what's up?  He shushed me and said Jim was praying to God.  He sometimes has the habit now of saying "oh, god!".  I told him he should say oh gosh and only use God when he is praying or singing praise.  He immediately started singing "Dear God, thank you so much for inventing Roblox.  I love to play it so much."  His innocent little voice was so precious, I had to put my face in my pillow to minimize my laughing.


His stuffed animals are still some of his best friends.  He often asks me to babysit a few and when he returns, I have to tell him tales of what rascals they were and how I had to put them in time out or down for a nap or some such.  He loves knock knock jokes that make no sense to anyone but him. He always gives them a belly laugh!


He does get himself into trouble (a lot).  He sneaked a bag of miniature marshmallows from his parents' room (shelving in their closet is another pantry).  Ate all of them.  Thanksgiving morning, Dad went to get them to put on his sweet potato casserole right before the drive over to his brother's house.  First he looked in their room.  Then the hall pantry. Then the kitchen cabinets.  He was getting irritated and asked both boys (and Mom) if they had seen the marshmallows.  Everyone said no.  Until Dad asked a more direct question of the boys ... did you EAT the marshmallows.  He then fessed up.


His current fun is balloons.  First he would simply bat them around the house.  Then he would challenge us to play volleyball in the hallway.  He draws faces on them, clothespins them to a t-shirt and wrestles around with him until he pops.  Yesterday he went through quite a few balloons so Mom said no more today.  Of course, he sneaked another and thankfully, when he brought it in to me to blow it up, I asked if he had gotten permission.  NEVER MIND, GRAMMA as he huffed out of my cabin.  Next thing we know, he was in the bathroom trying to fill it with water (use your imagination here) and not only got water everywhere, he caused a leak under the sink from the pressure backing up.  He got to mop it all up and Dad was under the sink for a while fixing things.


Despite behaving like Dennis the Menace, he is the happiest kid.  He wakes up singing.  If his brother gets in trouble for something, he tries to take the blame.  He already takes books into the bathroom and one is a child's Bible.


Maybe there is hope ....





8 comments:

  1. We have one just like that! And one look at his fabulous face and you know that you will probably let him get away with things he shouldn't. A face filled with joy. Ours is only 3. His older brother is a little more reserved. You love them both.

    Thanks for stopping by Marmelade Gypsy the other day. I'm delighted to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to e-meet you! Yes, he is so darned cute and so far his crimes are age appropriate. He just needs to learn to fess up on the first go around.

      Delete
  2. He sounds absolutely delightful--but of course I am just reading about him. Still, what a fertile mind the little guy has. He will do well and have tons of friends. Maybe his brother will come to appreciate him later in life:)) It took me a while to appreciate mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are twins who are polar opposite. So far we've only had two physical fights. 95% of the time they are very kind to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little boys are out of my wheelhouse.

    I have so much trouble reading your posts because you use such a small font size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boys are way too busy for me! When I'm looking at my blog, it seems HUGE ... but probably I forget to set my screen back to 100%. I enlarge everything to read better. Will make changes!

      Delete
  5. I remember a neighbor talking about the time she was in her kitchen and all the lights would go off and then back on again. Repeatedly. It was my little brother, who had discovered her fuse box. We already knew all about his curiosity and how it impacted our lives. My near-age brother shared a room with him. One Christmas years previously, my near-age brother and I got transistor radios, a big deal. We were careful to put them out of our younger siblings' way when not carrying them around. My youngest brother, at that time a toddler still in a baby bed, hitched that bed across the room and got to the transistor radio, taking it apart in his baby bed while ostensibly taking a nap. And so it went. He grew up to do quite well in his college class and snag a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is always Hope... for them all.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...