Sunday, November 21, 2021

DEAR GOD

My almost 8 year old was playing a video game snuggled next to me in the Bed of all Beds.  He was disappointed in something and said "oh god"!  I gently reminded him that we should use God's name when we are praying or singing praise.  He promptly sang a little song thanking God for video games and cookies and so on. I had to bury my face in my pillow.  He just kept thinking of things to thank Him for.

I am singing (inside my head) thanks that my older brother is at least maintaining his progress.  And now I am praying for my sister-in-law who just found out two weeks ago she has an aggressive form of breast cancer and after a second biopsy on Monday (positive for cancer) she picked a double mastectomy for December 16.



Friday I had a gynecological visit with a new doctor.  Best medical appointment I have ever had!  I arrived 20 minutes early and they took me in immediately.  Once the preliminaries were over I figured I'd be sitting in my nothingness within a thin paper nightie but NOPE, the 13 year old doctor appeared!  Everything looks fine from the outside and she asked if I wanted a PAP test.  Apparently at 65 I no longer need to have them, unless I want one!  I told her I had stayed up all night studying for it (ha ha) so I might as well have it.  I think I'll stay with the annual exam especially because of the lichen sclerosis.

Mammograms are suggested every other year until age 75, then not at all.  I will continue to have one every year as well.  Best to catch it early, in my mind.

Colonoscopy zoom meeting week after Thanksgiving.  Physical therapy starts week after Thanksgiving.  Dermatologist is scheduled for August.  Ta da!  I am all caught up after Covid.




8 comments:

  1. I was told the reason why women over 65 don't need pap tests anymore is because by that age if something shows up on a paps test it's too firmly entrenched to cure. How's that for bluntness from the medical and insurance industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many differing opinions on PAP and mammogram. My cousin who is one year older than me learned she had cervical cancer a year ago. CDC says "More than 20% of cases of cervical cancer are found in women over 65"... which makes me wonder why the CDC says PAP is not necessary after 65. Most breast cancer is discovered after age 50. I will probably just continue so at least cancer might be discovered early meaning less/easier treatment!

      Delete
  2. When my oldest daughter began using when she was about six, "Oh, God," I also explained that why it's offensive to some to use that term unless you're referring to the God who is in Heaven. We talked about other exclamations she might choose. When she next exclaimed "Oh, God!" I looked at her, saw her go still, and then she happily added, "up in Heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are the cutest! Nice to blog-meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how many 13 year old doctors there are nowadays! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to look at the medical license ... but still!

      Delete
  5. You stayed up all Night Studying, that's hilarious, I'm stealing that phrase for the next Doctor visit and Test request. *winks* Why are all the Doctors 13 now, what happened to all the Old Docs, everyone is Doogie Howser now and not Marcus Welby MD? I do Hope things go well for your Family battling serious illness, I just found out one of my Cousin's Wife has been diagnosed with the Big C, Thankfully she lives in Europe and is getting excellent Healthcare that won't Bankrupt them since they have National Healthcare. It made me Smile about the Child's Thankfulness, Kids are so Pure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "C" word scares me still. I just got results back from PAP ... all that studying paid off! No more are required after 25 years of clear results ... only if I want! Whew! Another test off my mind!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...