Thursday, February 18, 2021

WE SURVIVED!

Power went out Sunday about noon.  I'm living proof that we can survive without internet.  Although it was mighty lonely. And cold!  Inside dipped down to 56 by Tuesday.  Power came back on at 10:30pm Tuesday.  Many folks have been off the grid for more than a week ... with no estimate of when they will be back on.

Luckily, my resourceful son-in-law walked through the ice and sleet five blocks to our storage unit.  Came back with hand warmers, battery powered light bulbs, camp stove and lots of propane.


Kate had bundled up a lot of her plants, especially those in pots.  She had been saving Amazon bubble wrap envelopes and a neighbor gave her some infrared emergency blankets. The boys thought this was a great adventure .... camping indoors.  Poor Dad did all the outdoor cooking ... and last night they made s'mores in the fireplace.



I mostly looked like this. Browsed through many cookbooks and native plant and bird books.



My bedroom reading nook.  All my news is from the internet!  So I read cookbooks, bird books and native plant books

This morning's shower was about the best thing ever!

Were you hit hard by the winter storm?  Tell me your stories!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you have that resourceful S-I-L. He really did well. That was a long time without power. Mercy! We have been locked in by the deep snow for three days but luckily we haven't lost power or water like poor Texas. We are conserving our power as per requests from the light company so while not freezing, not warm either. Friday looks promising and can't wait to actually step outside. One thing, we sure don't have to feel alone in this mess. It covers 2/3 of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many parts of the country are suffering right now. Glad your family made the best of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are real survivors. What an ordeal, but kids always enjoy this kind of thing. A break from everyday life. Two cheers for son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Idaho visiting with my daughter, we got snow but it is typical and nothing out of the ordinary. My grandson however was in Dallas during the storm, he is in his 20's so he and the mates he was on a job training with made it a adventure. His only gripe was the power went out in the air b&b so they transferred to a hotel, the group got to the hotel and their power went out, I never did hear the end but I think they ended up gathering their stuff and going back to the air b&b.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...