Sunday, January 10, 2021

SELF CARE

 


Several times a year I love to have the house to myself.  It's important to recharge.  I enjoy the quiet (although I do hear strange noises ... is that a raccoon under the building?  The neighbors do make noise ... I can feel the bass.  I enjoy their cooking smells and roaring fires)

Self care is not being selfish.  Everyone has different ideas about how to enjoy their time.  I enjoy sleep, long showers, massaging lotion on my whole body.  Doing tiny little chores that no one else cares about (did the windowsills today).  Mating all the lonely sox.  Washing all the rags.  Taking slow walks with our old dog.  Eating when I'm hungry instead of "normal" times.  Created a Mr. Ralph homage on the top of my desk.  Read all the online papers I could get my hands on.

I love organizing the fridge.  It doesn't last long but if I do it once a week we can find the leftovers and the last bits of cut up fruit is all in on one shelf.  I try to get the kidults to label each container and mark the date they opened something ... I'll just have to be more diligent and ask them each evening.  Mmmmm, I had leftover homemade fried rice with an over easy egg for breakfast.  So yum

While I don't read books much, I love scouring the internet to see what to do with that leftover ricotta cheese.  Trying to get in a short meditation (nap) every day and today it was in the morning!  So luxurious.  

2021 hasn't started well ... my cousin in Ohio died of Covid, my sister broke her toe and is stuck in Louisville while he is stuck in Cincinnati being on call every night.  Having trouble getting a prescription refilled.  Almost impossible to have a rollover IRA moved to my main financial institution.  And then the thugs that attacked Washington, DC.

Yet we move along.  How's your month going?



9 comments:

  1. Self care IS a good thing. I don't even know how to define that anymore. But it's definitely a good goal to work into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider self care ANYTHING that I do for myself on purpose. Even just 3 minutes of deep breathing! Lotion on my hands then putting socks on them to let it seep all the way in. But what I would give for a MASSAGE!

      Delete
  2. Hi. I have nothing to add but just wanted to say thanks for your blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! How on earth did you find me? Do you blog?

      Delete
    2. I don't blog, but I scour the internet for blogs/YouTube channels/podcasts created by and for people over 30! Not always easy. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  3. So far, so good for me personally in '21. Most anything has to be an improvement over '20. I am seriously concerned about a dear friend's medical situation that unexpectedly developed in recent weeks beginning before the holidays, but I'm hoping for the best. Of course, the pandemic casts its shadow as does the fomenting situation coming out of D.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just five more days of this madness. I hope he can be sued so that he loses all Presidential benefits for the rest of his life. He doesn't deserve it.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear of your Cousin, we've Lost Family and Friends to COVID too, the very first casualty of it being a Great-Grandchild last February, she was only 5 months old and it maddened me that they kept saying Children were 'immune' because we knew differently from the Jump that it was a Lie! January started badly but after the Inauguration I feel more Optimistic and that not as much Violence and Drama ensued that I had Dread might after that 6th of February Coup attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally feel optimistic as well. Thankful for no more violence! Although Portland's mayor pepper sprayed someone who got in his space at a recent "rally".

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...