Friday, January 15, 2021

BLESSINGS IN MY NEST

Things are blessing my nest.

FINALLY got Principal Bank to transfer that balance to Charles Schwab (now all of my eggs are in one basket!). It did cost me $50 to get my own money.  And ... they mailed the check ... in this day of instant delivery.

My sister and I now talk to each other every day.  Sometimes five minutes and sometimes half an hour.  When our cousin passed away, her sister was devastated ... they did almost everything together.  Family get togethers, card club, book club, Bunco, etc.  She confided she wished she would have talked with her more.  That's the nudge we needed.  We used to text or email almost every day ... but there is something about hearing her voice.

Remember my wonderful niece (daughter of said Sister) who moved to Portland last summer and is now living in her Tiny Home?  She asked if she could use my address for mail and deliveries.  Of course!  Someone is home 99% of the time.  We decided to use my name and either Tahlia for my middle name or second address.  She doesn't et very much and last time I opened an Amazon package without reading the name (habit).  OOOPS.

Now I'm more careful reading the whole address.  A day or two ago I got a small box addressed to Jean Buss Lockhart (Jean, is my given Christian name, Buss was my first husband's last name). And it used to be that not many people knew all of those!  Definitely no Tahlia anywhere.  Imagine my surprise when it contained a pair of iPod Pro blue tooth ear pieces.  I went back to the box to be sure it was not for Tahlia.

No card, return address was Apple.  My now name, JB Lockhart, engraved on the tiny charger box. First I called Janet (sis) but she said "nope, not me".  Then I called a friend (who used to work for Mr. Ralph) as her ex works at Apple and he still gives her the big discount.  Still, even at half price that's a very generous gift.  She said "nope, not me".

Then she texted she might know who.  Ayo and his wife.  Mr. Ralph met Ayo through Gina while they were getting their Masters from Columbia University.  The degree was mostly online, all day Saturday group classes and once every month or every other month, the whole class would meet in person.  They even had a class project in Hong Kong.

Gina asked Mr. Ralph to mentor Ayo.  By then, he had cancer and his heart wasn't in it. So Ayo got jipped.  He moved to Florida, met the ONE and got married.  After Mr. Ralph left, we kept in touch once or twice a year. They took a trip to the Hawaiian Islands for their honeymoon.  He called and wondered if I would be a tour guide for one day.  It was short notice, but why not!  It also happened to be Valentine's Day so I made a reservation (9pm!!!) and we had that afternoon to show off.  Fabulous gourmet dinner and they spent the night.  The next day was all day warm, monsoon rain but we made the most of it.  Then I took them back to the airport in the afternoon.

I have no idea what prompted them to give me such a gift!

Their little miracle baby ... hard to conceive and 
then six weeks early at 3 pounds.  
He's now 6 months old.
'Koya



 

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy that you get charged to get your own money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advisor said they used to charge a LOT more ... good grief!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that Miracle Baby, could he be more Precious!!!! It is crazy you get charged to access your own Money. We restructured finances during Pandemic and right now rates and terms are fantastic, so we struck while the iron was hot to get zero interest on things being financed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart thinking on your part! We are keeping our eyes open for house with big lot so boys can dig and ride and build. But it's totally a seller's market. My niece has been outbid SEVEN times ... $400K for 2 bedroom, one bath 1950's. I could just kiss those little plump cheeks!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...