Thursday, May 16, 2019

GREEN GREEN GREEN

I love avocado on toast.  So glad I learned about this delightful meal.  Although I keep hearing rumors about sky high prices.  I love being green!

After reading on another blogger's post (Living Richly in Retirement), I've decided to also do more green living to help our planet.  Reusable bags now sit in my passenger seat and I use them at ALL stores, not just for groceries.  I got a few nylon net produce bags and after having my items weighed individually, I ask to have them bundle together and zipped closed.


Air freshening sprays are a thing of the past (due to aerosol propellants).  We keep wooden matches in the bathrooms as well as Poo Pourri and use candles or matches for other rooms.  I have a diffuser in my room and keep a drop or two of doTerra oils to freshen the humid air.  My favorite quick refresh is rose water ... sometimes I just spritz it and walk right through.

Living Richly had a great idea to buy inexpensive serving dishes and platters at Goodwill places to use for potlucks rather than tin foil casserole dishes.  I will then not have to worry about taking them home if I leave before the food is gone.  I almost always bring my own wine glass in case only plastic ones are available ... I just go out to my car and bring in my own.  Mainly because wine just tastes better out of glass!

Her blog also brought up junk mail!  My Medicare mail usually contains 5 or more pieces of paper (things printed in many languages).  For a bill I pay electronically!  Monthly.  I promptly went online to "go paperless" but there was not that option.  I sent in a form comment email and a cheerful young lady returned my call.  Turns out I can ONLY go paperless if I let them access my checking account.  I'm just not there yet.  I either set up auto pay for my checking account or have bills charged to my VISA (for points).


I then went online to OPT OUT of junk snail mail.  That site (www.optoutprescreen.com
) also recommends putting a note on your mailbox that says NO JUNK MAIL.  Hopefully this will get rid of most of the junk mail (I don't really get very much).

We recycle a lot in this household.  Apparently most of America does not do this properly so many countries will no longer accept our trash ... people put in dirty diapers, styrofoam, thin plastic bags, etc.  Even our 8 year old returns from our condo recycle area just shaking his head.


I just re-watched No Impact Man to help remind me of how much more I could be doing ...

8 comments:

  1. We can all do more...and it makes me happy that I'm doing the clothe and mesh bags at stores. I also carry my own paper straws and am working on remembering to bring my own container for Starbucks. This summer I have a goal of not buying water bottles.

    Junk mail takes up so much time because I don't put any of it in recycling without first blacking out my name and address. I need to do the opt out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get some paper straws! Thanks for that tip!

      I bought a self inking "confidential" roller to blot out addresses. Too lazy to shred!

      Delete
    2. I never heard of the confidential roller. I need one of those. Shredding is a bad idea because they can't recycle shredded paper. It's too small.

      Delete
    3. Amazon, of course! It says one swipe but I do several different directions. And I just thought ... now I can have the boys do this!

      Delete
  2. We recycle and use reusable shopping bags, but I know we could do more. My father liked using a straw so I ordered stainless steel straws for him when I was living with him. I love the idea of the dishes from Good Will. The photo of the avocado toast looks delish. An open face avocado sandwich is one of my new favorite lunches that I started making earlier this year. And I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who thinks wine taste better in a glass glass. I also want to thank you for posting about the "Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend" from Trader Joe's. I went right out and got it, and we use it on bagels and toast. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would like the open face avocado toast. But I LOVE it ... especially with a sprinkle of "Everything".

      I want to see a pic of your purple flowers!!!

      Delete
  3. The only time I ever bought an Avocado, was to cut it open, take out the pit and suspend it in water until it sprouted. I wanted an Avocado tree. I threw the flesh away. :-)
    This whole area is big into recycling---except this park where I live. When I asked the "office" manager why we didn't, her reply, "We'd have to raise your rent to being in a recycling truck." WHAT?
    We do have yard waste pick-up, which is transported away to a composting company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you didn't even try the avocado!

    It is LAW in Oregon than condos/apt complexes or more than 10 units MUST have recycle bins.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...