Tuesday, May 21, 2019

BROTHERLY LOVE

The best part of intergenerational living for me, is watching and being part of all the different relationships.  After years of being with Mr. Ralph, I have finally learned that mostly I just listen.  Not offer advice.  Not say "oh he is so wrong".  No lecture about how the person SHOULD have done it.  Kindly nod when one boy says everybody loves the other boy more.  Listen in earnest when one spouse has had it with the other spouse.  And never take it personally.

I have been supporting all five of us for almost a year.  Dadda has been stay home parent since Deekie was born and until he starts full day school. Both parents knew they didn't want (and couldn't afford) childcare for two kids.  They were super lucky with Braeden ... a high school chum with a little girl exactly one year older than B) cared for him and made him part of their family.  Poppa and I were in Oregon often and we could keep him.  Once we decided to spend more time in Maui and less in Oregon, we rented this friend and her little family our condo for CHEAP.  Win win win.

Momma got a super great Christmas gift this year of being financially (and emotionally) supported through the holidays.  That gift stretched as we had a two week tropical grand vacation to scatter Mr. Ralph and sell his dream.  By then I thought about extending it until school starts in September.  Everyone has really enjoyed having Momma home! Including me.  It's been a great investment for us all.

She worked retail which included every weekend and holiday.  Now they go hiking or fishing and soon will be going camping.  The boys are at the age to make some great memories.  The parents go out at night to get nightcrawlers for fishing.  They have set up a nature center right outside our living room window for birds and squirrels. Together they are building the most elaborate bird bath with a mister for hummingbirds and others who prefer a shower style, a shallow leaf bowl for other birds and a gurgler to make noise to attract birds that don't eat all the seeds and suet and mealworms and syrup but do love water.  Creating concrete leaves for all the bowls.  Can't wait to take pictures.

Both parents could participate in each of the boys' school events.  They finally have established a great early bedtime routine and the boys are usually asleep by 8:30. Kate always wanted to see them when she got home from work at 8:30 or 9:00 but that would wind them up.  When B started Kindergarten, he wasn't getting enough sleep.  Now both parents are visibly more relaxed.  They each have social anxiety and are introverts.  Extreme.  No friends to go out with or invite over (of course, no money might be part of that!)  So they/we truly enjoy family!

The other day Dadda had a medical appointment and Momma was packing snacks and water and activities for sitting in the car.  I pulled her aside to see if they had plans together after the appointment.  It's on the other side of town with different parks and playground or fishing spots, so I never know.  But no, no plans.  I suggested they can stay with me if you want.  They rarely ask me ... 

We had so much fun in that 90 minutes!  I folded laundry while they had a snack.  They each put away their own clothes!  Even putting their "good t-shirts" on hangers.  One boy did recycling and one put away clean dishes.  Then some screen time.  Fifteen minutes and they play characters in the same video game!  Sitting side by side on the loveseat.  When their time was up (parental block on each device), I asked them to clean the bathroom ... they were SOOOO excited.  Good job, too.  Since they were in the cleaning mode, the kitchen counters got a good scrubbing and they set the table.  When Momma and Dadda came home, they were bubbling over with excitement to show off their work.

Last night was a parent meet and greet at the new school.  They had asked me weeks ago if I could babysit.  Again we had fun AND got some things accomplished.  I asked B to read to D, then I would read to them both.  Braeden was SO proud.  He stood in front of us to read from Shel Silverstein ... with hardly any hesitation to sound out a word.  It was a hoot.  Deacon was mesmerized and Braeden was using inflection.  When I asked them which book they wanted me to read .... B asked if he could just keep reading to his brother.

 








4 comments:

  1. Your kids and grand-kids are so lucky to have you so hands-on in their lives. They sure keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm the lucky one! They sure are fun.

      Delete
  2. I say again--this is the best experience for your family and for you. You're helping them become a very close knit family, which will bring only good things as the boys grow and mature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel this works so well for ME! I have all the fun and not much responsibility!! I'd rather watch them enjoy any inheritance and I know they will care for me when I need it.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...