Saturday, October 7, 2017

VACATION WITH LITTLE BOYS

Last week we all went to Sunriver Resort for a week.  Kate and Jesse researched VRBO for weeks and found a great house to rent.  Two bedrooms, each with King bed (mmmm, did I love that), two bathrooms and the boys had a loft with bunkbeds, twin on top, double on bottom.  PLUS an X-box system with bean bag chairs with built in speakers.  That they mainly used to slide down the stairs!

Air hockey, football and foosball in garage. Ping pong table if we wanted to set it up.

They rented a bike with a tag-along for Kate/Braeden and Jesse pulled Deacon in a Burley. I almost rented an adult trike ... but didn't. 


Mr. Ralph and I vacationed at Sunriver at least once a year since 1981.  It's a family oriented neighborhood with 30 miles of paved bike paths.  The Village has recently gotten a facelift but no new restaurants or shops. Well, except a new replacement coffee shop and Starbucks finally horned in!! 

One day they canoed for FOUR hours. Had a picnic and other stops along the way. I enjoyed some time in the bookstore, worked on our puzzle and did a LOT of HOA work. 


We spent four hours at the High Desert Museum as rain was predicted. It is the best natural (and cultural) museum I've ever visited.  It opened in 1982 and they just keep adding to it, both indoors and outdoors.  Loads of hands on things for the liddles and talks and presentations every half hour.  There is a replica 1904 sawmill and tiny village.  And it works!  It was amazing to see the house (one room) where parents and two youngsters lived ... with one tiny box of toys! 


We drove both cars but the boys went with the parents (and dog!) and I left an hour before them so I could stop and dilly dally along the way.  There's a small town called Sisters with cute little shops and perfect for a pit stop.  It's about 3,000 ft above sea level with astounding mountain views.  Population just over 2,000 and it has a small town feel.

Jesse and I had a 1,000 piece puzzle on the dining table and were about 150 pieces short of finishing.  So we carefully put large sections into the box and brought it home to finish.

For the drive home, Braeden chose to ride with me.  Mainly to use my iPhone to play Minecraft.  But it was nice to have the company and every half hour, he had to take a break and we could talk.  We stopped every hour to stretch our legs then had a most horrendous traffic jam the last 25 miles.


So many people cannot believe that we all live together, in pretty close quarters, and then take a vacation together.  But they invited me and I love the area, so I accepted.  It's almost a four hour drive so I doubt I'd do it on my own.

Me and my odd little family!  We LOVE intergenerational living!


5 comments:

  1. Glad it all worked out so perfectly for you. I don't think your family is "odd" at all. I talk to lots of grandmothers who live in and help raise the kids for working parents. Everything that was old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks! So many of the little old ladies here gossip about it constantly!! Along with innuendos that I am being taken advantage of ... parents RARELY ask me to watch the boys! I have to make them go away. I do help out financially ... because I love to watch them enjoy their inheritance while I am here! Mr. Ralph agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful for all of you, especially the boys. It sounds like everyone got what they needed from this vacation.

    Canoed for FOUR hours! That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the bestest thing for the Kinders to have grandma live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good arrangement for all. Others may not have the relationship with their family members you apparently have with yours, so they can’t understand. Whatever works for everyone, I say!

    Vacation site description very attractive. Glad you could all enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...