Friday, October 13, 2017

THE TERRIBLE AWFUL HORRIBLE MORNING

Life sometimes presents big issues for six year old boys.  And great opportunities for Grammas.

Braeden has had a loose front top tooth for MONTHS.  No matter how much he wiggled it (not much ... if hurt!), it would not budge.  Before school picture day the parents bribed him with a new Lego set...to no avail.  They gave him corn on the cob.  Nothing.


Imagine our surprise Tuesday when we came home from school and the tooth that had been horizontal in his mouth for weeks was gone!  Playing on the playground and he fell, popping it right out.  Big trauma as no one could find the tooth.  He was sure the Tooth Fairy would not even bother visiting without the evidence.  The school gave him a little tooth keeper anyway and suggested his parent write a note to the Tooth Fairy, which Momma did.

Unfortunately, the Momma did not have any cash so the Dadda said he would take care of it.  But Dadda fell asleep and forgot!  When I went in to wake Braeden up for school, Deacon (Mr. 3.5) was asleep in front of the door and I had to carefully try to scoot him out of the way without waking him.  Epic fail because Mr. 6.9 began throwing all his stuffed animals off his bed and crying, then pounded his little fist on the floor saying "I just knew it ... she didn't come"

I was befuddled because I couldn't quite understand him and trying to sssshhhhh him so little guy would stay asleep.  Then Mr. 6.9 was mad at Mr. 3.5 for blocking the door so the tooth fairy could not get in!!!

While he sat at the table refusing to eat breakfast, I went in to ask the parents.  They said $2 but the smallest bill I had was a $5.  I folded it as small as it could go and put it in his pillowcase.  Sneakily, I went back to the dining table and said maybe when he got home from school we could take everything OFF his bed, even the sheets.  He went dashing in, took off the pillow case and was AMAZED at the loot.  Then he had to go in and wake the parents (again).

We wanted to take Mr. 3.5 to ride with us to school but he refused.  Once we got to school, him still beaming with excitement, he realized he didn't have a raincoat.  I suggested it was raining so hard they would probably have recess inside.  NOOOoooooo, I have to have my raincoat.  Please, Gramma, can you bring it to me?


I got home and almost didn't bring it, but a promise is a promise.  So back I went.  I looked like death warmed over but had to take it inside to the office ... who said "oh great, they need their raincoats for a field trip and they are just lining up"   For some reason, Mr. 6.9 is "embarrassed" by me (saying good bye at school ... I have to do it BEFORE the door opens so no one else hears) so I mentioned that to the office lady who "got" it.  

The rest of his day was just perfect.  A trip to the Fire Station!  School lunch (Momma/Dadda forgot to pack it!)  And just 18 days til his birthday!.
Super Gramma


11 comments:

  1. I"m kind of shock that a kid almost seven still believes in the tooth fairy in this day and age. At what age do they start questioning stuff like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Seven is very young ... this is just his third tooth! I suppose when someone at school brings it up that it is his parent, he will ask. I hope he believes in fairies all of his life ... like I do!

      Delete
  2. It all starts with the Santa Fable, which carries on to the Easter Bunny, which then leads to the tooth fairy. My kids always knew there was no tooth fairy. Then knew it was Momma who sneaked in after they were asleep to take the tooth and leave a quarter. They also didn't believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny, so they never had to go through all that trauma when they found out those "people" didn't exist. They enjoyed their secret Christmas presents, left under the tree after they went to sleep and they enjoyed every Easter egg hunt. This was reinforced when I heard my friend's daughter day to her Mom when she found out there was no Santa, "YOU LIED TO ME!!" I wondered if she questioned her Mother's honesty on other, more important things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Whoa! I can't imagine not continuing the magic of Santa and all the other famous heroes. What's wrong with you people? Trauma upon finding out?

      I still believe in the magic of Christmas. Always will. My daughter probably knew about second grade but pretended she didn't until about 5th grade. And now she is a big believer in the magic.

      I will explain that I did not LIE but fostered the joy of believing. Yes, Virginia ....

      Delete
  3. You are a super grandma. Isn't it wonderful when their problems can be solved so easily. Oh, that it would always be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your grands believe? I just can't imagine NOT believing!! Especially when you are little!

      I'm so glad I am here to enjoy these two while they are young! Such fun!

      Delete
    2. My daughter-in-law is not from this country and was not raised with Santa. So she let the cat out of the bag early on. I'm not even sure she knew she was supposed to keep it a secret. I was a little sad about it. I wanted them to have that experience as we did when we were children, but I understand that we all have different customs and traditions. Enjoy it while you can. They will grow up, but they will never forget it.

      Delete
    3. Well there you go. My sister is now Jewish. Each family is different.

      P.S. The Tooth Fairy comes again tonight!

      Delete
  4. I don't see any harm in kids believing in the Easter bunny and Santa for as long as they can. They grow up so fast. Too fast. Santa represents the spirit of giving and no one should ever stop believing in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any harm either. I don't remember any trauma finding out ... and enjoyed keeping my younger siblings believing!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...