Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I'VE TURNED INTO MY MOM

Yep, this has been happening gradually but I have turned into my Mom.  In a good way!

It started in full force when I returned to condo living.  Only one chair in the living room has arms and is sturdy enough for lift off when I had the bad knee.  It is now known as Gramma's chair!  The boys scamper off when they see me coming with laptop in hand.  Or they approach with soft blankie and stuffed animal and ask if they can sit in Gramma's chair with me.



Every where I sit (or sleep) has a box of tissues handy.  What's up with that?  I even keep a packet of tissues in my purse.  In the car.  In my coat pockets.

Next to my bed I have a long, narrow container with a small hand lotion, emery board, pen, pencil, floss, etc.  For the past couple of years, a glass of water is always nearby.  

My Mom's birthday is just around the corner (October 7) and when the weather changes to Autumn (is today the official equinox?) thus I feel her presence even more than usual.

So today I ate a braunschweiger sandwich.  I bet it's been 30 years! 



8 comments:

  1. I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have a Kleenex near-by. Those and emery boards, pens, pencils and notepaper. They are all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom had a recliner with storage beneath the arms. Hard candy (in case of coughing attack), tiny pad of paper and a pencil, puzzle book, TV guide, and more. Command Central!

      Delete
  2. I also had a braunschweiger sandwich for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh mine tasted so great ... a little mayo and big thick slice of home grown tomato ... wish I had rye bread

      Delete
  3. Okay, I do all those things. At the end of the couch where I sit, there is a low antique stool (so it isn't very visible) where I keep a cup that contains eye drops, emory board, and cleaner for my glasses. In the bedroom, I have a pretty bowl that holds similar things, and I ALWAYS have water nearby. I remember telling a friend twenty or so years ago that we would not do this particular "old person" thing, that we would get pretty containers with lids or covers so our "old person stuff" would be hidden. Loved this post.

    Isn't it funny how the change of season brings up memories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! In Maui I have cute covered Hawaiian boxes with lids. When I change sides of the bed or the sofa (every two weeks so I don't have a "dip" in just one spot), I can move all my stuff discretely! And easy to pick up and put away if entertaining or cleaning lady coming!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I enjoy having "things" within reach near chair where I usually sit and bedside now that it's just me here most of the time. Don't have little ones around, so no safety concerns from inquisitive fingers either. So many reminders of my Mom, too, when I least expect them. Would have enjoyed our sharing some old age years together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I always said I would NOT have my "own" chair ... but when it is just me, I take turns for sitting and for sleeping. My Mom died just after she turned 80 although she enjoyed ill health for at least 20 years. I'm hoping to NOT be like that!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...