Thursday, October 19, 2017

THE WHIRLWIND

My favorite sister and her awesome hubby came for a short visit last week.  We text or email or talk several times a week but it was great to have real, in person hugs.  And they hadn't seen the grandkids in person for two years!


I picked them up at the airport about 1pm on Saturday.  We went directly for a late lunch at a favorite vegan restaurant.  I was pleasantly surprised that they serve brunch all day on weekends.  The food is delicious and there is always a bit of a wait.  My daughter works just about a mile from there so we went over for a surprise visit.  They chose a gift for their dog and I bought a get well catnip toy for my friend who was in car accident that morning.  
We mosied over to the infamous local ice cream shop, Salt and Straw.  Which is now branching out into California.  They make the most unusual flavor combinations, some of which sound dreadful but taste so yummy!  Olive oil ice cream?  YES!  Honey with lavender.  Strawberry honey with balsamic vinegar.  And some pretty delicious more traditional flavors.




Saturday evening we weren't really very hungry so I had some cheese, fruit, crackers and wine awaiting in the guest suite for them (we have an awesome amenity of a guest suite with two queen beds, living room, kitchenette and HUGE bathroom, cable TV and wifi .... for just $50/night!),  So convenient to have guests just a building over from me.  And I joined them!


Each morning they would get up and go for a brisk walk then we would meet for coffee about 8:30.  Sunday we went to the Portland Art Museum for a great, short visit.  Janet is a docent at her art museum in Louisville.  They often plan their vacations around visiting art museums.  
I am not into cultural things but they convinced me to accompany them and it was fabulous!  I think I will go at least once a year ... and may take the whole family.  Quite a few youngsters and it was so interesting to hear them ask questions and give their opinions.


We came home and played with the boys (they brought them each a book!).  We took them to see Jesse's farm (they are avid gardeners and avid veggie eaters!)  Sunday evening we went to a newer restaurant with my friend Mary Beth and her boyfriend.  It is called Quaintrelle whose meaning is explained on the wall in the entry ... A woman who emphasizes a life of passion expressed through personal style, leisurely pastimes, charm, and cultivation of life's pleasures.  The food was good but not iconic (at those prices it should have been iconic!) and we learned about several new foods!  

Spigarello, more properly called Cavolo Broccolo a Getti di Napoli, is a leafy green that tastes a lot like broccoli. But unlike broccoli, you eat the leaves instead of the flowers.

Monday was coffee, then lunch with the little family (except Braeden who was at school) then walking and hiking and just being with little men in the great sunny outdoors!  Dinner at our local Italian place which was a big hit.  The five of them walked home while I got Deacon ready for bed and reading books.  

Tuesday was coffee, then packing then off to the airport.  So short but very very sweet.  We miss them already ...

Braeden showing Dr. Uncle how to play Minecraft ... he didn't really expect Dr JEH to get it right away ... he's merely a neurosurgeon ...

P.S.  The rains STOPPED and the sun was out for their entire visit


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Family connections are like no other and need to be savored like you all got to do. Now I want ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredibly fun weekend. Each relationship just got built a little stronger. The boys are internalizing that I have a younger sister who has children who are 27 (OLD!)

      And the ice cream was worth the 30 hour wait!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a GREAT visit! And thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about these boys! I am lucky enough to have retired 7 years ago ... I love being just as busy as I am. Picking and choosing my "cause" to give back to the community.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a delightful family time. Enjoyed having time with my bro’s children, then a decade or so later him with mine. Unfortunately, once he left the mainland we just didn’t have as much opportunity to be together. Glad you and boys can enjoy your sister and BIL. Food experiences sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun. We are lucky that we can afford to fly across the country to visit. And maybe we better just do Facetime once in a while as well!!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...