Thursday, September 14, 2017

IF HE HAD A GRAVE ... He'd roll over in it

I have lived in Oregon since 1981.  And in Lake Oswego since 1984.  It's a great little city of 37,000+ people.  We have 36 city parks, encompassing 600 acres.  Most of them have free wi-fi and we have 7 within walking distance of the condo.  The boys are out and about at one or more every day.

The parks are well maintained with beautiful landscaping.  Our medians are almost traffic stopping.  But lately the City has embarked on some huge mistakes.

Actually, it may have started before I met Mr. Ralph.  He was hopping mad when the council decided to build a newly funded library away from the "downtown" area, so it is no longer a walkable adventure.  Mr. Ralph was on the board of the library and failed to convince them of his foresight. It turns out their predictions were really off and additions and remodels soon followed.  (In fairness, we do have a GREAT library and it is one of the County's most used amenities!)  

The City also built a new City Hall and Police Station around the same time.  In the spot Mr. Ralph thought should house the library.  I just learned that in March the City Council decided to invest in constructing a new City Hall .... with urban renewal funds rather than making "costly repairs".  Shouldn't a building last longer than 25 years?  They are also separating City Hall and Police Station, knocking down the old building and then building two new structures across the street from each other.  Busiest street in this little berg ... just what we do not need (in my humble opinion) is more traffic and parking issues.  Or more debt!

Several years ago the City purchased a huge insurance company complex at the westernmost corner of the City.  HUGE.  300 parking spaces.  BIG building.  They did it without thinking and without public forum.  It turned out to be a FLOP ... they were using it for Parks and Rec but it was too far for most residents.  It was way too expensive to heat and they finally (FINALLY) sold it at a loss.

Now I'm concerned about the cost of these two new buildings and all the environmental impacts they will bring.

Poor Mr. Ralph.  If he had a traditional grave ....

6 comments:

  1. As a widow I am constantly looking at changes like these through the eyes of what my husband would have thought. It must be universal, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is! And he disliked spending more money than necessary ... kinda like the HOA. Just because we HAVE the money, doesn't mean we have to spend it. Better to have something in reserve rather than an assessment!

      Delete
  2. I've had my run-ins with city councils trying to save a historical pier built on property that my grandmother gave to the city. It can be very frustrating. When I last went home, I saw a sign in a yard that proclaimed, "Save the City Farm Property from Development." The City Farm was a detention center when I was a kid, but it sits on one of the most beautiful pieces of property in the city: waterfront on two sides. The council wants to let developers build condos and such. The citizens want a beautiful park. Wonder who will win?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speak up! Squeeky wheels and such. We homeowners voted down $30,000 worth of bark mulch a few years back. Now it's time to vote it IN!

      Delete
  3. I said that just the other day--thinking about how Fred would have been in shock and disbelief at what had happened. Aren't we lucky we get to be around and see all of this crap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting at the very least. To think I can carry a whole computer (and camera) around in my pocket! We do live in amazing times!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...