Sunday, September 17, 2017

TEXT SCAM

Right on the tails of the Equifax data breach, today I received a text from my bank.


Years ago, I set up all of my banks and credit cards to send me a text any time more than $1.00 is charged (or deducted).  Whether I am ordering online or using in person, I want to be alerted.  That way I can tell if someone other than me is using my account.

Luckily, I did NOT click on that link but went to my computer to get online and sign in to my Chase account.  I rarely use my debit card with Chase and I have no credit card with them. No problem noted. I called the Customer Support line.  Yep ... a bonified scam.  She asked me to send a copy of the text to their Abuse department, which I did.

Please do not ever EVER click on a link in a text OR an email, even if you know the person (supposedly) ... even if it is from your favorite (and only) sister.  Always verify ... hackers can take over an email account and soon, even a text message account.

Just sayin ....

10 comments:

  1. I never click on any link. Here in Ontario we have had a ban on phones in cars since 2009 and a fine of $490.00 but you still see so many using them.
    I see on your live traffic feed that it says I am a visitor from Kitchener.
    Ottawa is about 335 miles north east of Kitchener not that anyone really cares but I find it weird. It is the same on other blogs I read.

    Judy, Ottawa, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to see WHERE people are checking in from ... so curious

      A ban since 2009? Maybe need to enforce it more and BIGGER fines? I sure hope it works better here ...

      Delete
    2. Now I see you do have someone from Ottawa who viewed your blog 1 hour and 14 minutes ago. I wonder if I know her or him? Hello Ottawa resident, how do you know this blog?

      Delete
    3. I guess I should also ask you, do you know someone who lives in Ottawa, Ontario?

      Delete
    4. Just you! And who knows WHICH episode they are reading!!!

      Delete
  2. Hackers, scammers, identity thieves--all the fault of technology. I can remember my Computer Science prof talking about all the hazards that could come with advancing technology--that was back in 1985.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy people looking for a quick buck.

      I have gotten tons of scam emails ... but never a text!

      Delete
  3. I've been getting 3-4 scam and spam emails every day and what gets me it my 'block sender' button doesn't seem to be working. They are all coming from the same address in Austria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My computer catches 99% of the scam/spam. But I do block my phone from known bothersome calls ... dryer vent cleaning, free cruise ....

      Delete
    2. I need to learn how to block calls on my cell phone. I can do it on my landline but not the cell.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...