Sunday, March 27, 2022

THE COOKING SISTERS

My Mom always made cooking fun!  And that was before microwave ovens, crockpots, air fryers and pre-made meals (and no dishwasher machine at our house).  While construction worker Dad preferred meat and potatoes at 5:15, she managed to get him to be a little more adventurous as the years went on.

During the summer, some of the six of us would play restaurant.  We made little menus, served colored milk (your choice of color) or colored water.  Once in a while we would serve Mom and Dad dinner by candlelight.  All of us enjoy cooking and even the four brothers do ALL of the cooking at their home.

Janet and I still enjoy talking about cookbooks and sharing recipes.  She has progressed into mostly ethnic food and I'm sort of back to The Joy of Cooking family style stuff.  Due to lack of space, I often go to the library to keep up with her phase ....

Lots of easily scaled back in size for one or two ... 

I was inspired to do a few of the recipes and have bought a few specialized items that I will continue to use ... hot and sour soup is my favorite and so healthy!

I love that she shares photos!


Citrus & olive oil baked sockeye salmon w herbs, and winter citrus salad. Mango, blueberry & grapefruit salad  for dessert!




Crispy seared salmon, fennel & asparagus w pine nuts, celery-date-almond salad. Blondies in muffin form w milk chocolate chunks, coconut & roasted pecans (sorry, I didn't add the muffin photo)





Sichuan stir fried cucumbers, fish fragrant eggplant (totally veg), and gung bao chicken.

I have never heard of stir fried cucumber or oven roasted radishes and most of the other interesting sides.  But she (and dinner guests) rave about them.


Occasionally I send her a photo ....




WHAT WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO YOU LAST WEEK?  
I am re-reading a wonderful historical romance set in the early 1800's in England.  I'M READING!!!

  


4 comments:

  1. I love what your mom did to instill the love of cooking and meal preparation into you and your siblings. I wish my mom would have done some of that. She taught me to just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom made EVERYTHING fun. She'd play board games until "Oh my goodness! Dad will be here in 15 minutes and we'd all pitch in, put everything away, set the table while she got some one pot hamburger dish going and put cornbread in the oven". As long as Dad could smell something when he came home, he hadn't a club how quickly our Magic Mother could toss together dinner!

      Delete
    2. She was ... all six of us thought we were her "favorite"

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...