Tuesday, February 26, 2019

PROs and CONs of HAVING ROOMMATES

The tides are turning.



The five of us spent two full weeks in a 950 sq ft home with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (and an outdoor shower).  We put the boys in the guest room as it is the darkest (light blocking shades).  The parents let them listen to a book for 30 minutes and then the iPad becomes a white noise machine and a BIG digital clock.  They stayed in their room until 8:00 am because Mr. Second Grader can tell time.

The parents got the master suite and I slept on the oversized sofa in the great room.  Very comfortable EXCEPT I had no privacy.  Which may have been a good thing.

Everyone pointed out how LOUDLY I snore.  My daughter got my attention and asked me to get checked out for sleep apnea.  She showed me a list of symptoms from Mayo Clinic

Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making it difficult to determine which type you have. The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:
  • Loud snoring
  • Episodes in which you stop breathing during sleep — which would be reported by another person
  • Gasping for air during sleep
  • Awakening with a dry mouth
  • Morning headache
  • Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
  • Difficulty paying attention while awake
  • Irritability
Apparently I have all of these.  (Although I don't think I have the last one ....)

They had two closed doors between us and she had to come out and check on me when I stopped snoring.  Most nights while we were there.  I don't have difficulty falling asleep because I take Ambien.  But I do feel like I have NO energy as well as all of the other symptoms.

Mr. Ralph had sleep apnea and was supposed to wear a CPAP.  It was a process of trial and error until he finally got on the little one with just nose pads and a hose.


(yet another reason for not dating!)

With a little research today, now it seems they have CPAPs without a hose!  


I'm calling my Dr to get the testing arranged and hope I can start out with the smallest unit that gets the job done.

Kate also gave me a lecture on my 8 week old cough.  I think I just do the coughing in the morning and evening but she and Jesse think it is all day long.  I'm going to take an over the counter antihistamine or Flonase for a week or two (although I will bring it up with the Dr) as I think it must be old age sinus drainage.  I remember both my parents using tons of tissues and sneezing and coughing in the mornings.

But if you really want to scare yourself, just Google "old age phlegm and coughing".  I'll say goodbye to my readers now ... it must be cancer!


The turning tide ... the children advising the parent to get their health checked.








6 comments:

  1. My husband had sleep apneas. He slept better after diagnosis, but I didn't after he got the machine. He couldn't turn over in bed because of his paralysis so had to have the kind of mask that didn't cover his mouth. The insurance company, back then, dictated the type of mask and you had to document the need for those small ones. I had to wear ear plugs.

    I keep thinking I should tape myself to see if I snore. I have the driest mouth at night and every time I get up to pee I have to rinse it out.

    It's sweet that your kids want you healthy, but at the same time it's got to be a hard adjustment to see the tide turning before your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of sleep apps for your iPad!

      I had to move to the guest room when the snoring affected my sleep. We'd start out together then he would come to guest room in the morning. And I still wore earplugs.

      Ralph tried 3 or 4 masks before he found one. Just for nostrils and had warm steam. We had a friend who did surgery but after about a year, it was back.

      Growing old is not for the faint of heart!!

      Delete
    2. You got that right. I hate growing old and needing help.

      Delete
    3. Try Sleep Bot app. I just reloaded it ... used it a few years ago. Now I’m going to try it again. It also helps you wake up gently after you’ve had deep REM.

      Delete
  2. Very good that your daughter heard you. I was tested for it maybe eight years ago or so. I didn't have it. The only thing they found was that I move in my sleep when I'm dreaming. I've written about that before on my blog. I have dry mouth at night. It's awful. I think it's from medication.

    I hope you can get the mask you want. I would feel claustrophobic in the bigger one. The one that the woman is wearing in the photo looks like it wouldn't be too cumbersome. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just started using Sleep Bot and sheesh do I snore. Yet another thing that would be helped by losing weight. My daughter uses "Pillow" I bet I could go off Ambien if I slept better.

      The things I used to take for granted!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...