Sunday, January 21, 2018

SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER

I think I have a serious case of SAD.

Mr. Ralph had SAD and it worsened as he got older.  In the beginning, I thought it was related to his birthday (January 31) but after much reading and research (and visit with his Dr), it was the SAD that came with winter.


I've been slowly sinking this winter as well.  At first I thought I was just having a bad day (several days a week).  I couldn't face even the simplest task without getting anxious.  I became even more introverted.  Everything and everyone invoked a sense irritation.  Sleeping at night was restless and when I woke myself up, I worried over things for hours.



I went to the Mayo Clinic website and revisited this disorder.

Signs and symptoms of SAD may include:
Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
Having low energy
Having problems with sleeping
Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
Feeling sluggish or agitated
Having difficulty concentrating
Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
I feel like this mild depression/anxiety is related to lower hormones as we age, especially for women.  When I finally realized I was getting grumpier and preferring more alone time and crying at the drop of a hat ... I called my doctor and I am back on Celexa.  

It takes a couple of weeks to kick in and I think I will just remain on this low dose.  I am also doing other things to help .... sitting near the windows, getting outside every day, walking, taking more Vitamin D and making myself eat even though I do not feel like it.


And I'm sure the two week dose of Maui sunshine will be the icing on the cake.


5 comments:

  1. With all the 'nursing' you've been doing for your family this winter, it's no wonder you feel this way. Not being in Maui I'm sure you can tell if the lack of sunshine is effecting you too. Celexa is a wonderful drug from what I can tell. My husband was on it for years with seemingly no adverse effects. They make a certain kind of light bulb you should invest in, too, for SAD. I bought one and think it helps, kind of hard to tell though because winter and my sadiversary come at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Ralph did the light bulb thing at the office. I don't sit in one place enough. I've been off and on Celexa for 15 years, I think. So this time I'm just going to stay on it. No reason I should CRY when I start doing my taxes! I don't even owe anything!!!

      Delete
  2. I used to get it every February. I now have the "daylight" light bulb in an Ott Lamp that I sit under while I stitch and it helps. I have been on Celexa for years and years. My Doc said it is great for his "seasoned citizens"--in other words, it works good for us getting olders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine started at Thanksgiving but I don't keep a diary (just this blog!) Seasoned Citizens! Love that phrase. The hardest part was telling my kidults (who are very understanding) ... which of course makes me cry! Maybe this is why some species hibernate!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow---I'd forgotten about SAD. It's been a very down time for me lately. I guess I need to talk to my doctor. This is not fun!!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...