Sunday, October 2, 2022

TECHNOLOGY OR NOT

I like using email or texts to remind me what I've said or asked (so as not to nag).


It comes in handy a LOT (explanation near the end of this short post).  My kidults get way too many texts so most everything I send them is smothered by "word of the day", Facebook group alerts, etc.  They rarely check their email although with two kids in school we get email every day so they are getting a little better.

But I have found that handwritten notes work better at this home.  All supplies and extras of things are stored in part of the gigantic closet in the master suite.  Jesse has his photographic memory so he can find a bottle of hydrogen peroxide or a box of Qtips or matching pillowcases in an instance.

Now I use a bold marker, the back of an envelope (or a post it) and put it on the stove.  As if by magic, the request returns and sits atop the note.  Many items are stored above my reach or in awkward places where I can't lean over, lift paper towels to reach the toilet paper.  He doesn't use our bathroom (my and two boys, one who now enjoys LONG periods of time in the bathroom) so now paper notes work well.

Yesterday my WLLO Village held an event in our large Riverside Room and the patio.  Perfect weather so we had people outside most of the time.  (There is a door from Riverside room to the patio).  Our event was in celebration of International Older Persons Day and was from 2pm til 4pm.  About 2:30 an angry bald man (who doesn't live here) came into the party and said the Board (Mary Beth) told just told him HE could have the patio for a birthday party.  Turns out he is brother to one of our renters and it was a spur of the moment swim party for Rob's niece. (My son-in-law had blown the patio clean and washed all the tables and chairs and the set up committee decorated the tables).

I had sent Mary Beth a text on September 15 to ask if we could leave the furniture out for our party.  She agreed if we would put everything into winter positions, stacked against the back wall.  WLLO was paying Jesse for his time so I agreed.



Bald Boy was angry but being the nice little old ladies we are, the party committee said they could use one of the big tables.  They were noisy, lots of kids and adults, lots of commotion, so we all went inside.

I was rather cranky because we had filled in the reservation sheet at the beginning of September and included patio use, AND I had double checked about outdoor furniture as it is usually put away at the end of the month.

I've calmed down overnight but am preparing a solution ... a new sign up sheet that includes each clubhouse room AND the patio all in one place.  So the Queen can simply direct newer people to the sign up sheet.  We used to have one for each location but apparently that is too much work for people to check all three.


It will be a legal size sheet now so people have enough room to write in the boxes!  I added "be sure to add set up time and clean up time" to the column for TIME.  Also a box to remind people to post their alcohol insurance rider in the kitchen.

I've been suggesting using a Google calendar online but not everyone is computer savvy.

And that's the rest of the story!






2 comments:

  1. I use e-mail daily because that's one of the ways this place communicates but I'm always amazed at how few people actually read their emails to know what is going on. You don't have to be that computer literate to use it it. Texting is mostly with my family and for appointment alerts which I have come to like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I do EVERYTHING online. We have 95+ old residents who use email. And since Covid, the shopping!! Doing things on the phone is soooo time consuming ... and email can be sent at 10pm when I think of something so I don't have to remember call between 8-5 and remember which is the lunch hour for that particular office!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...