Thursday, January 13, 2022

70,000 MILE CHECK UP

This May I turn 70. It sounds old on one hand. But I feel 50 really. What number sounds "old" to you? I think 20 years older than me. It's a moving target. Should I put more investment into my health, I'm hoping for 100.


The past week I've been fighting a UTI. It won and I started antiobiotics on Weds. I wanted to just drop off a urine sample but they made me have a televisit with a new Doctor to the practice. He is very young and a little awkward talking about UTIs with a senior citizen. We survived, the lab tested and yes indeed it is an infection.


I'm getting serious about Type II Diabetes and have really changed up my eating habits. The CDC has a great list of low carb items to enjoy along with a suggested amount of carbs each meal accompanied by a list of common items and their associated carbs.




To supervise my eating plan, I asked my wonderful Doc for a prescription for a glucose monitoring system and this morning I used it. Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes. I was excited to see mine was ALMOST in the prediabetes stage. A few years ago my waking glucose was 255. Now if I would just start walking I think I can reverse this disease. It's all on me.


Walking is NOT very fun or comfortable but I'm going to go three times a week. '





Bunion protection, hammertoe protection and spacing of other toes. Then bending down to tie the shoes. Otherwise I'll need to find aqua exercise.



The family is really helping me. I'm not invited to each kid meals (corn dogs, chicken nuggets, french fries, fish sticks, Mexican and Italian. I can enjoy a plain protein (chicken, fish, red meat), salads and steamed veggies. I do have one slice of homemade pizza on Friday night with a HUGE salad. Tonight Kate went out and bought salmon then baked it in a walnut vinaigrette topped with toasted walnuts, asparagus and basmati rice. Delish and I get leftovers for lunch.






I am learning to cook tofu meals and was delighted with my first attempt at crispy tofu cubes added to hot and sour soup. Next try will be Kung Pao Tofu. Eggs are just one carb. String cheese is one carb.


It's been a very busy week for me. My high school buddies wanted me to make some flyers for our upcoming 52nd class reunion (Class of 1970 turning 70). Hunger Fighters is stepping up to get a first quarterly newsletter out by Friday ... using a program I'm just learning.


My sister's husband's PSA went UP so I'm helping her stay positive and she is staying with him ... while on call they will be in Cincinnati condo, week off will be in Louisville (main residence) and NYC co-op for prostate treatment.


Life is never really easy! Chin up!!




 

4 comments:

  1. That salmon sounds wonderful. I love it fixed just about any way, though. Good for you being proactive about your diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of any FRESH fish. But salmon most of all. Today I had some for lunch. And tonight I'm topping a big salad with the rest of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm walking as I have to for bone health and then doing a seated high intensity aerobic workout because of my feet!I'm not self testing tho just A1C every 3 months. Is good that family is helping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing A1C every 6 months and it is finally going down (lost weight). I just figure I'll do glucose test once a week to keep me motivated. I need to find a seated aerobic workout! Glad you are blogging more!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...