Wednesday, May 9, 2018

THE BIRTHDAY and SADIVERSARY

Five years ago, Mr. Ralph died on the morning after my birthday.  Our usual group of six got together at our house for pizza and wine and desserts.  By then, Mr. Ralph was not verbal or moving and was in a hospital bed in the dining room (we moved the furniture to the garage) so he could look out on his beautiful backyard). 

The view from his hospital bed in the dining room (well almost)

The four of them each brought a helium balloon which we tied to his bed rails.  We touched him and talked to him and had the party all around him.  When I called everyone the next morning at 7:30 am to say he'd decided to leave, they all came over immediately!  We said our goodbyes and polluted the earth by setting the balloons free.

This year was my Route 66 birthday and my 5 year Sadiversary (perfect word from my friend and fellow blogger, The Misadventures of Widowhood).  He always liked to stay at very nice places and if I had to choose, I'd stay cheap and eat well.  So I decided to do both!

There's a place in Cannon Beach, Oregon right on the ocean that has a fabulous reputation for being special.  I stayed two nights and he spoiled me rotten.  First of all, my "room" was probably 1,300 sq ft with one and a half baths (the master bath is bigger than my current apartment), a see through fireplace, two huge rooms and a kitchenette.  

The Stephanie Inn, Cannon Beach, Oregon

From 4pm til 5:30 wine and appetizers are served in the library.  I'm SO uncomfortable in large groups where I don't know anyone, but I made myself go.  Didn't really connect with anyone as they were all couples (it is a pretty romantic spot).  Their restaurant is renowned for farm to table.  I had wild morel mushroom risotto and a perfect glass of cabernet.  No room for dessert but when I returned to my room ... the turn down service left two exquisite chocolates on the pillows.

The library

A gourmet breakfast is included, so I went down to the library to enjoy a cup of coffee prior to tasting everything.  Then some walking and browsing in the quaint little tourist town.  He bought me a little dish to put my earrings in at night and a book by my one of my favorite authors (Harlan Coben).  He insisted I have a massage and paid the little extra to have it in my room.

After 80 minutes of delightfully light pressure, I chatted a bit with the tiny, young masseuse.  As she was packing up the table that is bigger than her, she asked what my husband was doing while I was being spoiled (the whole hotel knew it was my birthday).  I told her about it being our Sadiversary and she said "Oh my gosh ... he is right here with you!  I was feeling so much love in the room while I was massaging you, I just had to ask."  We hugged and THAT made my day!  Sometimes I feel his presence more than others but I always know he is here.  But for someone else to "feel" him ....

I'm looking forward to next year! 

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I'm glad you treated yourself. I'm a big believer in establishing a tradition to honor sadiversaries. Love your massage story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditions! And now we have to make our own. Every once in a while Kate will mention she "feels" Dad more strongly ... on a day when I feel the same way. It's interesting! Who will I haunt!??

      Delete
  2. WOW! That is one beautiful place! I didn't realize your Sadiversary was just the morning after your birthday. That kind of makes it all the sadder. Five years. Seems like forever sometimes, doesn't it? Yet, sometimes all the memories are there like it was just yesterday. XX OO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just didn't want to miss out on a party! I was re-reading my notes of his last month. So happy everything went quickly for him. He was a miserable patient!! And glad he got his wish about not dying in the rain! A true Maui Man.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...