Friday, May 18, 2018

WHAT DO I DO ALL DAY LONG?



Believe it or not, other retired people ASK me what I do all day.  I always wonder what sort of question that is ... I refrain from being my sarcastic self and simply say ... probably the same as you, I just live.

These are single ladies who live alone or a couple with their empty nest.  Usually intelligent people so I'm usually a bit taken aback.  HELLO?  I live with a 4 year old, a 7.5 year old, a 13 year old 65 pound dog and two thirty-somethings.  
No, there is never a typical day.  Each day starts out with an outline of what might happen.  Usually I wake up at 8am.  If there are no lights showing under my door, I keep to myself and read news, email, blogs, Facebook ... but it is hard to wait for that first cup of java!  I'm seriously thinking of getting a small coffee maker for my room.

Jesse gets up at 6:30 am to get Braeden off to the bus at 7:40.  Sometimes he's lucky enough to go back to bed and take a nap before Deacon wakes up.  Kate gets up about 8:30 on days she works (starts at 10am).  Deacon gets up anywhere from 6am to 10am.  Usually once in the night as well (always goes to Dadda).

I tidy up the bathroom I share with the boys ... put the toothbrushes away, the tooth paste, the brush, the comb, the hair gel, the pajamas on the floor and change the hand towel.  Typically I make breakfast for Deacon, always making him a "coffee" .... warm milk with a splash of vanilla syrup, topped with whipped cream and a pinch of sprinkles ... for AFTER he eats.

Jesse makes cold brew for me at the start of the week, so I warm up a cup.  Then I close all the kitchen cabinets and drawers, empty the dishwasher and reload.  Sometimes (usually on Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays ... Kate's days off ... I make some personal social outings to stay out of their hair).  Or head to the Clubhouse to use their wifi.
I LOVE grocery shopping and volunteer for that twice a week.  I either organize the fridge (tossing out leftovers that Jesse insists on saving ... ) or clean the fridge once a week.  Jesse doesn't drive so on Momma's work days, I am the family chauffeur.  At least once a week it's pick up a prescription,  3-4 times a week to his community garden plot, once a month to a Dr appointment and so on.

He does the laundry but FINALLY, after two years of intergenerational living, he will let me fold ... towels and kids casual clothes (pajamas, sox, undies) because he is so particular about washing, drying and hanging things.

Every day is meditation time (nap).

He watches a neighbor boy who is in Braeden's class two afternoons a week so I have quiet time in my apartment.  Two boys are noisy and chaotic, three boys?  No need for hearing aids.  Maybe once a week I get to cook but usually I'm the salad or fresh veggie arranger.

Now it is my wine time.  Braeden comes in about 8 or 8:30, after a shower, to read and bit and get mellow. Then my time for surfing the net, watching something streaming or reading (yes, finally enjoying reading again!)

And that's part of what I do in a day.  I love every minute of it.

P.S.  Deacon has soccer camp once a week.  Jesse is parent helper one morning a week.  We buy bulk hamburger, chicken, steak and portion into meal size quantities (10 ounces for ground beef), wrap and freeze.





2 comments:

  1. I've had people ask me what I do all day and it always rubs me the wrong way! I spend a lot of time thinking and writing but that's not exactly something I want to share with people who ask rude questions.

    You sure have a busy life style. I couldn't keep up. I think your daughter and un-son-in-law are lucky to have you as their on-hands grandmother-nanny. And you are never far from a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rubs me the wrong way too! Not sure why!

      It’s really unbelievable how well we five get along. I love being able to contribute in exchange for hugs and cute conversations. No other relationship like it. Grand parenting is my hobby. Kids say the darndest things! Deacon told me all about his brother Jim today. I love having one on one time with each of them. I do sleep well at night!!!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...