Monday, April 2, 2018

THE AWKWARD SISTER

I am the awkward sister.  We are a family of six children, two girls.  My sister is 8 years younger. 


(I think I was 28)

She is more adventurous.  She took herself to Thailand in her early twenties.   Alone.  Not speaking any Thai.  That was thirty years ago and I am STILL amazed. Even today I could not visit a country where I didn't know the language, at least a little.  Enough to say "Sorry, I do not speak your language".

She is more organized.  Since birth!  She could ask you to stop by her house (which would be immaculate ... she vacuums every day) to pick up three items and would be able to tell you EXACTLY where to find them ... second drawer on the left, in the back ... on the right hand side. 

She has more energy.  We both love to entertain although I rarely do these days (no room here at the condo!).  It's not even an extra thought to her to serve dinner for eight.  They do quite a bit of business entertaining, with 30+ people, and just the past few years she has used a caterer for some of the dishes.  Plus they are VERY close knit with  her hubby's family and they often land at her house for holidays and holy days.  That's a big crowd as well.

She is more earth conscious.  Before it was even an issue!  They compost any food and have a huge garden.  Now that it's just the two of them at their nest, they still manage to eat most everything they grow.  And a weekly CSA box of veggies.

She is so much healthier.  ALWAYS has been.  She had a paper route when she was younger.  Rode her bike a lot.  She is always the first to try a new eating regimen.  Vegetarian, vegan, pesco vegetarian (fish), and now SCD.  Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  Google it.  They are both fit as fiddles.

She pushes past her fears.  She wasn't a good swimmer.  But when her kids got to be into snorkeling and SCUBA, she took swim lessons.  Then got HERSELF certified to SCUBA.  Now she has been all over the world watching fishes.

She works out 5+ days a week.  BEFORE he goes to work at 8:00 am.  That is 3-4 mornings a week, then Yoga on the weekends.  And 20 mile bike rides.  And walking/hiking 39,000 steps!  Oy!


(She considers THIS vacation ... New Zealand)

She is the most thoughtful of people.  I don't know how she does it.  Grand nieces and nephews get gifts for holidays and birthdays.  She brings a gift when she comes to visit.  She sends cards for no reason!  The most perfect card for whatever the reason ... like my recent nervous breakdown!  Crazy.

And to top it all off, gorgeous and intelligent!



How did I get so lucky?





4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I hate your sister! Just kidding but I am jealous because she's everything I wish I could be only without all the hard work and dedication to living right she does to be her.

    By the way, I still can't tell which one you are in the siblings photo. You looked like twins back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They both work hard ... and play hard.

      I'm in the middle!

      Delete
  2. What a brat!!! LOL. Ah-hh, we all had the option to be like her, but it seems like way too much work and energy. They are a gorgeous couple, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Why do some people have the motivation? So far, none of it has rubbed off on me! Darn it ...

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...