Monday, April 16, 2018

I DID IT (The Awkward Way)

I applied for Social Security when I was 62 and took a reduced rate since I wasn't "retirement age" yet.  At least it covered my health insurance premium until I got on Medicare.


Now that I am turning 66 (and two months, my "legal" retirement age, I can apply for Widow Benefits on my hubby's social security (which is a LOT more than mine)(He worked full time until age 75).  I had marked my iCalendar years ago so I could start the SS process in a timely manner.  I went online (hoping) to update My Account and be able to apply via the internet.  Nope.  So I gathered up my birth certificate, my Social Security card and ordered proof of marriage from the Vital Statistics company.

Loaded with all the documents I could think of (and a few emails from a SS helper in Seattle who confirmed in writing that YES I can upgrade from my amount to his amount), I arrived at the closest office at 8:30 am (they open at 9:00 am).  Yes, there was already a line with 11 people in front of me!  I had a cup of coffee and it wasn't raining, so I joined the misery loves company queue.  

I had to leave my coffee outside and the guard searched my purse (small and thin but who knows, I could have had a glass emory board for stabbing someone in the eye??).  Got my appointment ticket at 9:31 am.  My number was called in less than an hour and I was promptly informed that I needed an appointment to complete such a task.  And no, the office does not schedule their appointments ... I needed to go to the 800 number that only my closest 50,000,000 friends share.

Unlucky me, I was disconnected once after waiting over an hour and I gave up after waiting on hold for two hours on two separate occasions.


This past weekend I got a three page letter telling me that I had shown up in person withOUT an appointment and how to go about getting an appointment.  Yes, the same overly busy 800 number!

It's getting harder and harder for me to hear clearly on the phone (I didn't realize how much I depend on lip reading).  Usually, I have to put in my earbuds.  So I looked into finding a place locally where I could use a TTY machine.  


Wonder of all wonders, I can use this service on my iPhone!  This morning I called via TTY and got through in ten minutes.  It's slow and a bit cumbersome, but I can read a lot better than I can hear.  After 30 minutes of "Shirley" painstakingly asking for every bit of secret information (twice or more) we are warned about EVER giving out, we got disconnected!  ARGH!!!

I called back and got "Patrick" who only had to ask me ONCE for each item of information.... he then told me to look for a letter within ten business days that will either give me an appointment date and time, OR a phone number to the local office where they will give me an appointment.

Stay tuned ....




9 comments:

  1. My Gosh! When I signed up, all I had to do was fill out an on-line form to get things started. Then I sent via e-mail scanned photos of my birth certificate, marriage license, so I could sign up under hubs name, his SS# and divorce papers. I started getting my SS in two months time. It's all you baby boomers coming of age. So many more signing up now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so but you'd think the last census would be consulted so they could staff accordingly! Which hubs did you use?

      Delete
  2. All that you're going through will be SO worth it when you start getting your S.S. through your husband's account. I had a much easier time, though. I had one telephone appointment where they called me at an agreed upon time and I didn't have to anywhere in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with the internet, and the fact that I have an account online with SS, and so did Ralph ... and they have his records ....

      Delete
    2. I wonder if it varies by states---the process. I wouldn't think it would but the fact that both Judy and I had it easier than you makes me wonder.

      Delete
    3. The process (or the proficiency) may be different based on the customer service people, who knows. Or my timing being in the midst of the boomers. I'll never know .. as long as it happens in my lifetime!

      Delete
  3. I am curious, what did you do to get TTY on your cell? I too have hearing loss, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I was Googling TTY in my City and along with a million other sites, up popped one that said how to set up TTY on your iPhone! I just followed the directions! So depends on your phone but was super easy, step by step for iPhone Email me if you want to chat!

      Delete
    2. And it is like text messaging ... only a LOT slower!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...