Monday, March 5, 2018

MY AWKWARD FRONT YARD

We moved into our Lake Oswego condo in August 2010.  Shortly thereafter, grandson Braeden was born and fortunately, we got to "borrow" him a lot!

The patio is small (such a step down from 1,000 sq ft of decks at the old house), but there is a patch of grass just beyond our sidewalk that was ever so fun.


Each year B got a little bigger and could play out there a little longer and be creative.  A bucket of water and some plastic measuring cups and spoons.

 

Then in 2014 a little brother joined the family.  Summer time was fun with Dad squirting him with the ice cold water from the hose.  They had picnics in the grass.

In October of 2014, the Landscape Committee thought the grass looked bad and cost too much to maintain.  They proposed this:


Beautiful dark bark mulch, lovely big boulders, green ferns.  Then it turned out the committee did not have enough money to install ALL of the features.  The inset photo shows what it looked like in January 2018.  Ferns are gone (well, because dogs tinkle on them ... and they were only about 3 inches tall).  Rocks were too expensive so we will do them next budget.  Nope.  Not yet!


Well, the view from my patio does show two rocks.  Bark mulch was gone in less than six months.



But the boys both love the mud pile!

I have submitted a request to put in sod and maintain it (except for mowing)(at my expense).  So far 50% of the committee are AGAINST it!!!

Fortunately, the head of the committee is a friend (and new to our community) and she and the remaining 50% will recommend my upgrade to the Board.  

Remind me to never buy within an HOA again ...


11 comments:

  1. You are definitely my cautionary tale about condo HOAs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just condo!!! Most homes nowadays also. As long as there are honest, ethical people on the Board ... no worries. But there are more bad than good, in my humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes (not always) people on HOA boards get carried away with the wiff of power. Commonsense is the key. Bella

    Oh, I had a "Lucy" moment and inadvertently deleted your email from your email subscription to my blog. I hope you will sign up again. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right about a morsel of "power". Although I don't think it is TOO much, as Chair of the condo HOA, that they address me as Your Royal Chairwoman ... do you?

      Thanks ... I signed up for the blog!!!

      Delete
  4. That is disappointing about the HOA rules. If you are Chair are you She Who Must Be Obeyed? Giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm TOO honest. I almost didn't want to ASK .... lived through so many demanding past Board members. Crazy!

      Delete
  5. Now you know me. I could never handle living in a place where some board of people told me what I could or could not plant. I'd be in detention all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people do not abide ... and former Board chair never enforced much of anything. I did get residents to STOP parking in visitor spaces by Clubhouse. Have a GREAT library that is being well used. And have SHUSHED all the side talking at Board meetings. Pissed off a LOT of people because of these!!!

      Delete
  6. They can't leave good enough alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 8 acres of huge trees, meandering concrete pathways (that are getting CLEANED this year). The shrubs are at the end of their lifespan and many owners are replacing at their own expense. PERFECT location and very walkable ...

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...