Sunday, February 25, 2018

RELIGION IS AWKWARD


I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools for 12 years.  I'm glad I was raised in a church even though I no longer practice any formal religion or go to any church.  But I'm rethinking this.

So many of our holidays (HOLY days?) and traditions are based on a religion.  Some of my relatives are Jewish and I am always surprised at how many traditions are based on their religion.  Like "spring cleaning", I think.  Some say origins of spring cleaning date back to the ancient Jewish practice of thoroughly cleansing the home in anticipation of the springtime festival of Passover.  Also to get rid of bugs that may have infested their perishables like flour.

It's hard for me to explain Christmas and Easter and so on to my grandsons without giving a little bit of the background. Usually I lead off with "some religions or cultures" believe .... yada yada yada.  It's easier in this age of Google as quite a few Catholic and Jewish holy days are about the same time of year.  And I know I could branch out with Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans and Zoroastrians celebrations and, of course, modern African-American holiday Kwanza.  

I'm just not that politically correct.  Yet


8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine you ever being politically correct on anything. LOL

    I think your grandsons are a little young to grasp the nature of religion but I do believe all kids under five need to hear some of the Bible stories as a point of reference because they are woven so tightly in public life as well as why we celebrate certain things. I an agnostic an even I wouldn't have trouble doing that so long as I also taught that there are many paths to God so that in the future, they will be accepting of others outside the Christian/Jewish churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quiet when I don't want to be PC! Ah ha ha ha! Like fairy tales, Bible stories do influence ethics and morals so I'm all for that as well.

      When I left high school, I went to many different types of churches in search of a "home." Unitarian is the best fit but I'm just too lazy to go! Kinda like exercise. I need a buddy system!

      Delete
    2. That's the one I would join if I wasn't too lazy to get up Sunday morning.

      Delete
    3. Me too! Hate getting ready ... I don't think I even have any church acceptable clothing or shoes .... one skirt!

      Delete
  2. My great grand daughter is Jewish/Catholic and her parents share all holidays on each side. Try and stick to the "real" truth without all the dogma's and rituals of either religion. That's the trouble with most "religions", there are so many rules and regulations. There are books for kids that tell Bible stories about both Old Testament people and about Jesus. Keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most organized religions just have too much politics and fund raising. I will keep it simple and continue to say "some people think like this ...."

      Delete
  3. We have the same situation here. H and I were raised in the church, Baptist, but we no longer attend church and neither do our grands. We celebrate the secular parts of the holidays: Santa, tree, Easter Bunny, Basket, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Ralph was Baptist and we went to a local Baptist church until Kate was old enough to say "can't we just pray to God from home and not rush around so much?" She was in daycare at the time and would wake up and ask "is this a hurry up day or a stay home day" ..... we stopped going to church

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...