Sunday, April 11, 2021

COVID - MONTH 13

 

Despite the beauty of Spring flowers, Oregon Covid cases are again increasing, so I'm back to online shopping only.  I get my second dose of Pfizer on Saturday.  The weather prediction is for sunshine all week ... a low last night of 32 and the high going to low 80's by the end of the week.  Hopefully I will be motivated into walking!

I've been using Zenni to get new glasses and decided I'd like to try prescription readers rather than the one strength fits all.  My face is aimed at my computer most of the day.  I could NOT figure out how to get reading glasses without buying a regular pair ... with the same frames!  I need reading glasses, driving glasses and computer glasses to be easily identified

After investing too much time, I used the little help chat.  Here's what he told me:

Reading Glasses

In order to get reading glasses, take the ADD number and add it to the SPH number. Enter the new total in the SPH and do this for both eyes. Remember that the CYL and AXIS don't change so enter them exactly as they are written. And reduce the PD by 3mm. If you have dual PD, reduce 1.5mm by each eye.


Computer Glasses

In order to get single vision computer glasses, take the ADD number and divide it in half. Then add the 1/2 ADD to the SPH number. Enter the new total in the SPH and do this for both eyes. Remember that the CYL and AXIS don't change so enter them exactly as they are written.


????????  I must be getting OLD.


I got my PD measurements from Costco where I used to buy my specs in person.  Covid that "in person" right out of my choices.  Zenni suggests you measure yourself in the mirror, pupil to bridge of nose or have someone measure you .... but would that be as exact as a professional with the right equipment?  I think not.  After several tries to Costco, I finally got a sympathetic ear who looked up my prescription to get the measurement.

Can you imagine when Zenni gave me these two formulas???  First I had to learn which was left and which was right on the prescription ... they are Latin abbreviations: OS (oculus sinister) means the left eye and OD (oculus dextrus) means the right eye. (Note to self ... use the left eye to give someone the stink eye!)

I did the calculations but didn't trust myself, so did them again.  And then once again.  And finally ordered a pair.  Let's hope I got it right.  I did take the time to email Zenni to put give the calculation to us (like they do IF you order two pair).  Wouldn't cost them a thing and would be great customer service.  Stay tuned.

Silver frames .... I'm tired of my glasses being the main focus of my face on Zoom!




10 comments:

  1. Wow! Not sure I could do all that! Thankfully, my eye doctor stills sees you in the office but everyone in the place was suited up like they are going off into space. I've always had the doctor write down the numbers for over-the-counter readers and I have worn trifocals for driving, computer and reading for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go in person, but prefer to limit my germ exposure. And Zenni is less expensive so I can have several "looks". My Doc gave me the numbers for drug store purchase of readers but my eyes are different prescriptions so I'm going to see if these will work better!

      I have bifocal for driving so I can see my GPS!

      Delete
  2. My Gosh! I would have given up! I couldn't even understand the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Zenni and have never had a problem. The glasses though are very light weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog AND commenting!!!

      Now that cataract surgery has improved my vision, I am looking forward to light weight glasses. And several shapes and colors!

      Delete
  4. That certainly sounds complicated to ask the customer to do in order to get their various glasses. Glad you mastered it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nervewracking! They should arrive this week so stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. And this is why I haven't had the courage to try Zenni, although their frames are super cute. My SIL does Zenni and has some of the best frames. I have kinda complex (expensive) bifocals and am worried I would have to eat the cost when I screw up the order. Please share how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't screw up ... it's all on the prescription that your eye doc gives you.

      I'll keep you posted on my math for reading glasses. Progressive and bifocals and singe strength have all turned out perfect!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...