Thursday, June 20, 2019

JUNETEENTH

Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration honoring the end of slavery in the United States.  I have no recollection of learning about this holiday!  All but four states recognize this as a State holiday.  Who knew??

On June 19, 1865, Union General Gordon Granger led thousands of federal troops to Galveston, Texas to announce that the Civil War had ended, and slaves had been freed. Approximately 250,000 Texan slaves had no idea that their freedom had been secured by the government.

Since my little family is off camping, I did not celebrate this day in any way, shape or form.  But I do have some photos to share!!

A sure sign of summer ... a trip to the dentist.  This is a "kids" dentist and WOW do they know what they are doing.  Each kid has their own screen and can choose a movie!  They don't have to sit in a chair more than 15 minutes without a play break.  A treehouse, video games, computers, toys, books ... you name it!

They each brought a stuffed animal for security!

























Xrays, cleaning for Mr. 8.5, counting teeth for Mr. 5 then choosing a dental bag of treats, getting four quarters to put in toy vending machines and a 100% juice popsicle for the road.

The family left Monday afternoon for three nights at a local campground.  They are loving it.  Thank goodness I bought a soft car topper (15 cu ft) as it was stuffed as well as the rear of the MDX.  Packed to the gills.  Fishing poles, bicycles, food to feed a city, a tent that sleeps 8 and lots of clothes and towels.









Bosko and I stayed home to feed the birds and do a bit of deep cleaning!

SUMMER!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Going to the dentist has really changed from when I was a kid back in the "olden" days. ha! I have happy memories of family camping trips when I was a child. Nothing like camping in the woods!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...