Tuesday, January 15, 2019

THE MAUI HOUSE - Part 9

Telling my friend that I wanted to sell the house was very difficult.  We had day dreamed that when the kids got tired of me, or ran out of room in the condo, that I would move back and we would be little old lady roommates.  I had been giving her signals since summer that I would most likely not be returning.  After meeting with the Financial Planner (and that's ANOTHER blog!) and after the wedding, I gave her the news.

She was MAD AS A HATTER!  How dare I "do this to her".  I would have to wait until her lease was up on February 28, 2019.  I tried to calm her down as I have every intention of fulfilling the end date of the lease.  Even if the house sold, the new Owners would have to allow her to stay (at the same rate).  I was shocked as I thought I was doing her a favor giving her 5 months notice.  And assuring her if she found the perfect spot before her lease was up, no problem.

I introduced the realtor and the tenant (... now former friend) via text (favorite way of communication for all of us) as realtor wanted to schedule a walk through to see what needed to be done or updated or rearranged before listing.  At first, tenant did NOT want to communicate with realtor, only me.  And tenant would NOT be cooperating in any way as this whole thing was an "invasion of her lifestyle".  Realtor has been working in this field in this State for almost 40 years.  She knows the ins and outs of everything AND is the sweetest, kindest woman ever.  She calmed her down a little by giving her two weeks before the walk through.

Tenant texted me several times a day and she didn't have time to put her things away just because my realtor was coming.  I explained she just needed it tidied up like she was having two good friends over (I named them for her .... ).  Nothing over the top. No need to put her stuff out of sight.

Realtor was greeted at the front door ...



Yes, somewhere beneath the pile of rotting leaves there is a welcome mat.  The next day in the mail I got a "notice" from HOA for below par landscaping and leaving out the trash can (they included dated photos).  Nope.  Tenant says "they got the wrong house.  This place looks better than when you lived here".  "And I never leave the trash can out".  When I sent her the photos ... yada yada yada.  I am "giving her an ulcer".  I thought I was simply asking her to do what she should have been doing all along!

She's gotten mean and threatening and name calling ... but has paid rent ON TIME for Nov and Dec when she is usually five days late.  She blocked me from her Facebook account.  She begrudgingly cooperates with realtor.  Once realtor called on a Tuesday at 8:30 pm to ask if she could do a showing on Thursday afternoon around 3:00.  "Well, that is not 48 hours notice so I can't work with that."

Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. What a jerk! Maybe you were giving her such a good deal that she's having trouble finding another place as reasonable to live? The easy thing for her to do would be to see if she qualifies to buy the place. Honestly, with a five months lead on knowing she'd have to move, you were MORE than fair. I hope you force her out when the lease is up even if the place isn't sold yet. So much easier to sell without anyone living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good deal. A trade off, in my mind, for a trusted person to care for my home.

      Famous last words!!!

      As a grande finale she put mothballs all over the garage and the smell is seeping into the house. She must have used crystals as realtor cannot fin them to remove.

      UGH

      Delete
    2. On the good side, the smell will fade with time but it sure is an annoying smell! Wonder why she did that. Here they use it to deter mice.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. She said she was deterring cats. BUT .. if you don't leave the garage door open while you are NOT IN there, cats do not come in. Wonder if it was a meth lab?????

      Delete
  2. Good grief!! What a mess. I guess she knows a good deal when she sees it, and doesn't want to give it up. You've given her ample time to get herself together. Good thing you escaped being roommates.

    I've heard of using mothballs to deter lizards and salamanders. Not sure if it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure WHY she made it into such an ordeal. Because it was NOT her idea. I was expecting the place to be neat and tidy all the time ... she's not employed and is single!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...