Thursday, May 4, 2017

PRACTICAL MINIMALISM

It seems the older I get, the more I value practicality. Or maybe I need to stop watching documentaries about minimalism. And Facebook pages and blogs about organizing and living downsized.  Either way, nothing thrills me more than solving real home space problems.

Actually, I have always been too practical.  My first new car at age 21 was a tiny Dodge station wagon.  Not only did it get me from here to there economically, it was easy to bring home large purchases for no delivery fee.  My boyfriend loved camping and converted it into a mini-camper complete with mosquito netting over the windows and raised back hatch (it was Ohio after all).

Now I have gone and hired Escape Your Chaos to help me finish up my Gramma Pad.  She is an interior designer, house-for-sale stager, professional organizer and mother of Mr. 6.5's FAVORITE child care providers (who is also a magician with furniture arrangement and organizing ... she lived in this condo and ran a child care ... with everything in its place). Our first appointment is Tuesday.  In person, in this tiny little private room.  Getting those "before" photos.  (yes, check out her website  https://www.escapeyourchaos.com/ or her Facebook account)

I'm so excited.  Only once before have I asked for decorating help ... from a friend of a friend.  It was AMAZING how she rearranged my existing furniture and made my living room and dining room look bigger and yet more cozy.  Best of all, suggesting large houseplants from Home Depot so when my black thumb finally got to them, they were affordably replaced (like the cost of a bouquet of flowers!).

This is such a luxury.  I spend a lot of time in here, away from the boisterous boys, when I pay bills, write my blog, make phone calls, etc.  Sometimes just to read, watch streaming shows or take a nap!

Each of the boys LOVES special time in Gramma's room.  In fact, I just ordered a fold up desk so Mr. 6.5 can do his homework in peace and quiet. 




Little guy can be invited in for special time coloring or working on a craft. 

Stay tuned! 



7 comments:

  1. I love that fold up desk! Very compact and practical. I can't wait to see the before and after photos of your space.

    I don't think a service like that would work for me. I'm really fussy about arranging space and I hate it when people make suggestions, not that they ever do but going shopping with others I hate being told I should like by a sales clerk or friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE getting new ideas that make my space look bigger. As for shopping, it's definitely my way but I am open to suggestions. This is me ASSUMING, of course.

      Delete
  2. How big is this room of yours? Can't wait to see the before and after photos either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 10 x 13. Currently with a chair that folds out into a twin XL bed but I am trading it in for the queen bed that is in the storage unit. There is one large piece of our office set still in here which will be replaced by the compact white desk unit. I will keep you posted!

      Delete
  3. This is exciting stuff. I love organizing. I'm a minimalist in my head, but in my heart, I can't get rid of as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love organizing ... and I'm hoping she will help me get rid of more stuff. I want a serene escape in here but with everything accessible for sending out a card, doing my nails, seasonal clothes and accessories, a container for special things for each boy, comfy place to sit with laptop, desk to spread out to do taxes, and a relaxing bed. Everything but the kitchen sink??

      Delete
  4. Sounds delightful and desk is really neat.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...