Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I BELIEVE IN MAGIC



I simply adore my first cup of coffee in the morning.  It's a ritual from the minute Mr. Ralph retired.  After all those years of each of us going in different directions five days a week, we both fell hard for sharing our first hour of every day together.  Mostly with the laptops while sitting outside, weather permitting.  (Another reason we like living in Maui best!).  Checking the news, weather, Facebook and reading the local "paper" (and him the WSJ).

Three years since I lost my coffee buddy but I continue to enjoy the routine.  Although now it is usually way longer than an hour and I'm thinking about changing up the morning. 


This morning I was at the beach at 8:30.  It was so peaceful.  I got a close up parking space.  It wasn't too hot to be in the sun (I'm an a/c kinda girl).  But I couldn't entice anyone to join me until I was about ready to leave.  No matter.  I brought my own (iced) coffee and used the iPhone to check the news, etc.

Once or twice a week Mr. Ralph and I used to like to go to a coffee shop to people watch.  Often we'd also go in the afternoon to buy a cold brewed iced coffee (different than iced coffee) or iced green tea.  I still like to do that, maybe once a week, but Starbucks just priced me out of that!  They cut their rewards program recently.  Twice.  And now they've raised their prices!  It will be my local Java Cafe from now on.  Recently I started to make my own cold brew coffee, which I can warm in the microwave OR add ice....depending on my mood.
Some friends gifted us with a Nespresso espresso machine which used to seem like so much work (and expense of buying the pods)  I will use it for the afternoon treat (iced almond milk latte).

I'm never too old to change up my magical life!


9 comments:

  1. I love my morning coffee hour, too, and I'm still a Starbucks girl although I don't go as often as I used to because of the added calories more than anything. Starbucks always reminds me of my husband....he really loved coffee and could literally drink 12 cups a day and still sleep like a baby.

    Your beach/coffee change-it-up routine sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Ralph could drink a cup of coffee right before bedtime! Must be a man thing.

      I do like that Starbucks pays their staff well and encourages college. Maybe I better check out the prices at Java Cafe ... they wouldn't make the international news!

      Delete
  2. Of course, it's never too late. Even though we miss our "Buddys", we now have the freedom to get up when we want, go where we want, not cook if we don't want, clean house or not. It can be a pretty good life, if we put our mind to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a fabulous life. So far, no one seems offended if I choose to have a Cave day!! Or spend an hour or two at the coffee joint. I have met new acquaintances there for sure! Although I met one gal at Starbucks only to later learn she doesn't even drink coffee (or tea)! Go figure.

      Delete
  3. "Never too old to change up my magical life." Amen! You are an inspiration, kiddo; I'd have coffee with you anytime.

    I gave up trying to keep my gold status on Starbucks; Good-bye to chi-chi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ought to plan a blogger coffee chat on Facebook Live or Skype or something! 8am Maui time ... you guys are six hours AHEAD of me. I do make pretty good (strong) coffee at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm all about that first cup of coffee. It isn't just the coffee, but the ritual that I like. A visit to the beach in the morning sounds wonderful and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the ritual ... of a kind, un-frantic start to a new day. I always feel grateful for another day!

      Delete
  6. The first year or so after my husband's death and I had acquired new tech mobility with a laptop, I enjoyed Starbucks -- big soft easy chairs they've since removed, unfortunately. A new cafe will soon open very nearby, so I may occasionally drop in there. Maybe there will be a group of "regulars" develop as there is now further away in our downtown area. I've not gone there recently as have been sleeping in -- just another stage I'm in, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...