Sunday, April 10, 2022

ACUPUNCTURE

I tried acupuncture last week.  I went in as a skeptic and am now a believer.  I can't tell you HOW it works but it worked for me.


Acupuncture is one of the oldest, most common, and dependable medical therapies used in the world. It is by nature simple, safe and effective health care.  The ancient practice of acupuncture started in China approximately 3,000 years ago. The first documentation of acupuncture that described it as an organized system of diagnosis and treatment is in The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Internal Medicine, which dates back to 100 BC.


Acupuncture involves the insertion of very thin needles through your skin at strategic points on your body. A key component of traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture is most commonly used to treat pain. Increasingly, it is being used for overall wellness, including stress management.  I went in for digestion issues (IBS) as they were getting the best of me.  Every day my stomach would ache after eating, small or large portions.  I started getting heartburn and tried Tums.  It was depressing to feel half sick most of the time.


Upon arrival of first visit, you get several pages of questions (on a laminated form to reuse after being input into computer).  First on my mind was my stomach.  Next I am going to try to get more ENERGY and then some relief from foot pain.


My Doctor recommended Working Class Acupuncture as it is soooo affordable!  They have a sliding scale of $20 - $40 whatever you can pay.  Mr Ralph tried acupuncture and massage to ease his bone cancer pain.  He also tried Rieke and they all gave him much relief.  


It is a peaceful and quiet atmosphere with about 15 of the most comfortable recliners.  There is also a small room with two tables for those who require needles on their back.  My therapist, Rachel, walked me over to a chair and got me comfortable.  She placed maybe 15 needles on my body ... hands, hairline but mostly ankles and legs (direct help to stomach supposedly).  Only one felt like a pinch.  Then I could relax there for at least 20 minutes but up to an hour.  So comfy I could fall asleep.  When you feel finished, make eye contact with any provider in the room and they will bring your person and she removed the needles.




Traditional Chinese medicine explains acupuncture as a technique for balancing the flow of energy or life force — known as chi or qi (chee) — believed to flow through pathways (meridians) in your body. By inserting needles into specific points along these meridians, acupuncture practitioners believe that your energy flow will re-balance.


WCA has a list of what acupuncture can reliably and safely help with:

  • decrease pain and inflammation, 
  • quiet spasms, 
  • boost immunity, 
  • dispel migraines, 
  • shrink swelling, 
  • relieve pain in almost any location, 
  • regulate hormones, 
  • cut recovery time from surgery almost in half, 
  • calm anxiety, 
  • lift depression, 
  • restore mobility,
  • improve digestion, 
  • and create a deep feeling of rest. 

Acupuncture is also particularly helpful for people with chronic diseases, meaning conditions that can be managed but not cured (cancer, allergies etc). Because some clients often need to take many medications with multiple side effects, acupuncture can greatly improve their quality of life by helping with mood, energy and sleep – without creating any more side effects.


On my way out, unbelievably mellow, I noticed a sign with packages for even less cost!  I bought a package of ten and I'm going twice a week till they run out.  Appointments are made online.  They have licensed providers as well as student interns and are open 7 days a week.  And WCA has four locations.


I'm so glad I got over my skepticism and gave this a try.  I am delighted that coffee now appeals to me again.  I enjoy meals without pain and gas.  I sleep better and deeper too.  I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Glad it helped and so quickly. Do the needles hurt going in? I know you said one felt like a pinch. What did the others feel like? I had a test once that required a 4-5 inch needle to go into my leg and it hurt to measure something and it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The super thin needles did NOT hurt ... felt like a gnat ran into me, except for the one that pinched. They barely go into the skin. Taking one out bled a little everything else a breeze. The needles are almost as thin as a piece of hair! I can't imagine putting a need that far into my leg!!

      It's still working and I go in on Mon and Thurs this week. I think the reading is helping me pay attention longer ... I watched a movie last night (Book Club) til 1:00 am. It's a whole new world for me!!

      Delete
  2. I've used Eastern Medicine for most of my Life, yes, it works wonders, No, most Insurance won't pay for any of it since they claim it's 'experimental' even tho' effective for over 2,600 Years, go figure. I think Western Medicine is afraid that Wellness isn't profitable enough and the Eastern Philosophies of aiding the Body to do what it is intended to do naturally, Heal, wouldn't keep Patients dependent on Big Pharma Drugs. I'm glad you gave it a try and that you had the desired results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read of your experience and to think of the mind body connection.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...