Thursday, June 4, 2020

QUARANTINE BREAD

I finally bought a bread maker!  I've always wanted one but could never justify with just two people in the household.  Now that there are FIVE and the little guys are eating adult portions PLUS several snacks every day ... I talked myself into it.

It was so exciting when it arrived.  I patiently waited for the quarantine 48 hours til I could open it.  It fit perfectly in a corner on the kitchen counter, all sleek and new age!  I read the manual, cleaned everything and followed one of their recipes.  Put in the liquid ingredients, then the dry and make a little indent to pour in the yeast.

I put in my choice of 2# loaf with medium crust.  So fun to know we would have hot bread for dinner ... just 3 hours and 11 minutes!  I pushed start.  Nothing.  Went back to the manual, turned off the machine and tried again.  Nothing!  I finally caved in and asked the younger generation.  Nope.  They couldn't get it to go either.  Unplugged it.  Everything.

So I poured the whole container into the KitchenAid with bread hook and gave it a go.  It turned out terrific!  Amazon had the reboxed failure picked up at our front door.  No questions asked.

Don't worry, I limit myself to one slice a day (it is hard!).  Two days later I made a crusty Italian style loaf.  Jesse made pasta with marinara sauce and my oh my!  With a glass of red ... paradise.

Next try was focaccia bread.  This is by far the easiest bread to make.  I topped it with garlic olive oil and coarse salt, put rosemary from our patio on half (little people don't like to see green things) then ripe olives on one end and ripe olives on the other end as Braeden and I like that.  Everyone got just what they wanted.

Kate made turkey, ham, provolone and pesto sandwiches for dinner.  Oh yeh!  Terrific.

So far, knock on wood, success.  This is Thursday and I'm making the sandwich bread like the first time.  I'll let you know!

5 comments:

  1. I'm watering at the mouth just reading this. Bread is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. Ive never been able to make bread well although I've made a few non ruding baked goods in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since all this started I was sad that I had donated my bread maker a few years ago. Now it would come in handy as it really made a nice, small loaf. Sorry you got a bum one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just gave my nearly new bread maker away.
    It was fun to use and I love warm bread slathered in butter, but like you say....with only one person in this house, why have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All sound so delicious! Bread, pasta, and potatoes are my down fall so I have to avoid having them around. I don't have the discipline like you do to limit it to one slice a day lol. Enjoy!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...