Tuesday, August 27, 2019

SCHOOL YEAR 2019-2010

The family is trying to eke out a bit more summer vacation before school starts the day after Labor Day. They went fishing.  They are going rafting (supposed to be 100 degrees)  Working on one last camping trip but being Labor Day, I don't think they have much chance.

Sunstone Montessori school has activities once or twice each week til school starts.  This really helps get the "new" kids involved. Parents are very involved as well.  In fact, they have to invest 15 hours each year... in any number of ways!  So many committees ... providing snacks, helping fundraise, babysitting classroom pets over breaks, helping in the library, etc.


Even picking up dog poop (the school has a huge grassy area and irresponsible pet owners make this a daily job).

This week it is Braeden's visit to his classroom and to meet his teacher.  Also a big clean up of the whole property before school actually starts.  It's amazing what a spruce up can do!  I worked at Kate's preschool for a few years.  They were open year round for child care.  The first year, I asked if I could put out new bark chips, clean the parking lot and have a pot of bright cheerful flowers at the door. over Labor Day weekend.  The owner reluctantly agreed (money is tight) and Mr. Ralph and I did all the work.  Every single full time parent noticed the difference and commented to the owner.  A fresh start to a new school year!

Sunstone doesn't open for school until the day after Labor Day.  Each day the new children attend, just a few at a time.  I think Braeden doesn't go until Thursday.  Deacon the week after!  It gives the experienced students time to welcome two or three new kids to their space and everyone gets to know each other's names, show them the lay of the land, etc.

I bought new 3 compartment bento style boxes for their lunch.  They get to pack their own the night before!  AND it has to include protein, fruit and vegetable.  But they can choose.  Montessori is very strict about keeping processed food out of the lunch area. They do offer school lunch 3 days a week as well as an OOPS my kid forgot his lunch and for $5 they can have a sunflower seed butter and honey sandwich, a piece of cheese and a fruit.  The school lunches would not interest these two guys (yet?)  They are $9.




The most fun will be watching the parents get up at 7am to feed them and help them get ready.  They will drive them the first week and I will most likely volunteer for the morning drive.  We need to leave at 7:55 as they have social time starting at 8:10 and class begins at 8:30.






4 comments:

  1. Many of our schools have already started which is new in recent years for them to do that before Labor Day. Then some close the whole month of December to preserve heating costs or for some schools the early starts allows for more snow days.

    Sounds like the boys are going to a nice charter school. I have mixed feelings about charters. Good for the kids going but they also bleed all the parents who are willing to volunteer away from the public schools and that is helping to erode them. I like that the kids get invested in keeping up the property and are learning to volunteer early in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunstone is not a charter school (A charter school in Oregon is a public school operated by a group of parents, teachers and/or community members as a semi-autonomous school of choice within a school district) Sunstone is a non-profit Montessori school ... probably the same classification as a Catholic school?

    I think public school should also REQUIRE parent participation. At Sunstone you can opt out and just pay $400. Money raised!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that menu would have interested me much at their ages! I'd be curious how many buy the school lunches when available but I like that they encourage healthy eating. Seems like a good plan too to have the different level of kids start at different times for adjustment, etc. I do not miss those hurry up and get ready mornings when my kids were in school. Always a struggle to get out the door on time even with the best intentions.

    Wishing your grandsons a successful school year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The menu doesn't interest me much at my age! I try to get everyone up early enough so they don't have to rush. Parents would rather have that 15 minutes in bed!!!

      Braeden is pretty self sufficient (almost 9) but this is Deacon's first all day learning situation. No one at this home are early risers ... stay tuned!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...