Thursday, August 29, 2019

DAYS of WINE and ROSES

Since I started blogging in 2013, I have happened upon some other very interesting blogs.  Several have to do with money and finances and living on a budget.  I must honestly say I have never followed a budget.  Whatever my income, I/we usually stayed within.  There were a few lean years where we did not pay off credit card(s) each month but it didn't take long to get that back under control.  



This past year I have lovingly supported this whole little family.  What a gift it was for all of us!  Everyone has flourished in so many ways.  We enjoyed several vacations together and that is always a big treat to me.  Growing up, we went camping as a vacation.  And we got to eat out at a medium priced Chinese restaurant.  Mr. Ralph taught me about vacations and travel.  I still thank him.  I'm usually the budget conscious person and would NOT have spent that money.  But gosh the memories I have!  I am one lucky little corn fed girl from Ohio.

The young lady who manages the stock market stuff sent me an email today to be sure I wasn't spazzing out over the current volatility.  While I don't "watch" the news or check each stock or bond, I do keep informed.  My "worth" has increased since the last election but I realize it has been too fast and not very realistic.  I let her company buy and sell and I rarely even research each transaction.  Many years ago I formed an all female investment club which lasted for ten years and did tremendously well.  It was easier as we invested just $50 per month.  Mr. Ralph updated his spreadsheet EVERY DAY but I no longer do that.  Stocks just stress me.  Emotionally, I get concerned I will not have enough to get me through to that last day.  It's not really a possibility at this point, but I still worry.

Despite the market craziness, I think I will be doing okay this coming year.  The kidults are both heading back to work and I am charging rent and groceries and they will be responsible for any of their other expenses (did I mention they both SMOKE???).  I'll probably help out with the boys (school, clothes, shoes, sports, etc).

I DO know how to cut more expenses should my good fortune decline.

10 comments:

  1. Stocks and investments are not my thing. I hate it actually. I have my head in the sand.

    Smoking is SO expensive! Back when my husband quite he did the math and figured out what he spent on cigarettes would have bought him a nice house. I don't get young people who start. Back in our day, we didn't know the dangers. And I REALLY don't understand people on fixed incomes who are always complaining about not having enough money for their bills but they'd never consider giving up their smokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite expensive. Kate didn't start til college and she's given it up twice for 9 months ... even though we all live together, I try to stay out of their bizness. They know all the reasons to stop ...

      Heidi, my financial guru, speaks my language. She knows inside this 67 year old body is a 90 year old no risk taker. And I like a specific amount available in CASH, just in case. She has taken all the worry on to her own skinny little shoulders!

      Delete
  2. Some of hubby's retirement benefits are in the stock market so he keeps an eye on it. I'm not savvy enough to want to play the market, but it would have been nice to buy some Amazon stock when it first came out.

    That was sweet of you to help your family; don't know the circumstances but that was nice you were able to help them. Son and his family live in a rental house we have for reduced rent which we are lucky to get most months (hope you have a better experience, LOL, with collecting rent). While it would drive me crazy to live with them, I like the fact that we live 10 minutes away so we see our grandson quite frequently along with DIL and her daughter. Son works crazy hours so we mainly see him on his day off, which is Mondays. But having a close relationship with the grands makes a lot of things worth it.

    Son and DIL do smoke too. I am amazed how much a pack of cigarettes cost. But I suppose if I added up what I spent on wine........

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, let's not even add up that wine bill! The difference is, it is OUR money to blow. My kids were excellent about paying me. When I was charging them an average monthly rent, they asked if they could pay it twice a month instead of all at once. Fine by me. When I came to visit, I would reduce their rent as my "hotel" bill. So of course, they LOVED me to visit!!

      I just talked with them this morning ... that they will do all the breakfast making, lunch packing and driving of the boys until they are working and their schedules don't permit. I will gladly take over. AND ... they do NOT get to come back and go to bed!!! The Wicked Mom is back!!!

      Delete
  3. YIKES on their smoking. It is probably costing each of them near $200.00 a month. Put that responsibility on them!
    They can switch to e-cigarettes, where no stinking smoke is involved, no tar or other chemicals, but still gives the same satisfaction as a "real" cigarette and costs about $40.00 a month. I get the refillable tanks, so my oil only costs $14.00 a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are SOOOO many options to quit or substitute. Their choice. So many vape problems in the news lately. Just suck your thumb or take up using big pretzels instead!

      I don't want them telling me what to eat or drink ... although maybe that WOULD help me lose weight!! Stay tuned .....

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that someone would complain about the carbs and sodium in pretzels and damage to skin, nails and teeth from sucking one's thumb as smoking substitutions! ;-) lol

      It's great that you are willing and able to help the kidults get back on their feet. You seem to have a great relationship with the entire family! :-)

      Delete
    3. We get along about 95% of the time. And it's me and my own flesh and blood who have that 5%. ... to be expected.

      Delete
  4. The kidults and your grandsons are so lucky to have you there. You've given them all a very nice gift. I'm sure Mr. Ralph would be very happy with the decisions you've made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great gift to me also. It won't be long til hanging with Gramma will not be their first choice!!

      This was a very thoughtful decisions on my part. I don't want to enable them but honestly, people are so much more ANXIOUS these days ... especially their age and younger. Breaks my heart. I became anxious when Kate was struggling just when she turned 18 ... so I take some medical help to keep me from worrying to death. Now I am able to worry then move on!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...