Monday, August 5, 2019

141 DAYS

Do you feel like retailers are skipping holidays just to start setting up for the next celebration?  We hardly get to enjoy the 4th of July because Halloween is already being advertised.

When I had the big house, there was a long, narrow sofa table at the top of the stairs.  Each month I would decorate and each year I would add something new to that month.  Even when Kate was in high school, she loved having that table.  Luckily, it was near an outlet so there were always tiny lights.

I have a friend who starts setting up Christmas right after Halloween.  Fortunately, I get invited over a few times every month so I get to enjoy the festive feeling early.  They also have a fire in the fireplace EVERY day, even in the summer if the temps go below 70.  SO cozy having a glass of wine and solving the world's problems.

I like to set up Christmas after Thanksgiving and keep it up til mid-January.  Everyone has a different way of doing things.  The Spy Elves don't come out till December 1.

Our condo has a bar height divider between kitchen and dining area, but I don't feel comfortable decorating there because of water and other stuff being splashed.  I think I'm going to start a monthly scene on the far side of our dining table.  Believe it or not, we RARELY all have meals at the same time.  Usually the boys have theirs earlier but I think this school year, I am going to sit with them whether I eat at that time or not.  They are in the habit of watching a movie together (which the love, of course) so maybe just during the weekend they can continue that tradition.





5 comments:

  1. OOOPS! I hit the wrong button so you get this today .... instead of tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Halloween out yet but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to retailers pushing the seasons. I used to decorate the door for different holidays and I may revive that when I move if its allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I bet you will get to decorate your door. Several of our facilities also have little tables next to the door .... so you can set down something while you unlock ... and decorate the shelf below! BLOG WORTHY! Start each month with your door decor!

      Delete
  3. I saw pumpkin decorations in the store the other day. Way too early. I knew I'm going to go to Wal-Mart any day now and they will be having Christmas stuff there. I'm a reluctant decorator so I ;put it off as long as possible and some years don't even put anything out. Good idea to sit with the boys while they are eating, at least a few times a week. I always enjoy talking to the "young ones" and see what goes through their minds.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys did NOT want to visit with Gramma instead of watching a screen. We made a deal to do it every other night! They do eat better when someone is sitting with them ... reminding them to EAT while watching!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...