Thursday, August 8, 2019

FACEBOOK

In just 15 years it seems like Facebook has entered every home on the planet.  Well, at least they have 2.38 BILLION active users.  And they host the good, the bad and the ugly.

I admit I browse through Facebook several times a day.  Luckily, I've been reconnected with childhood friends, gotten closer with quite a few cousins and enjoy family photos of them all.  Since I've joined the WLLO Village, I post twice a day to that page.  I get to wish happy birthday or congratulations to many people as I rarely send a snail mail.  This is all part of the GOOD.

The BAD is all the negativity.  Politically mainly.  It irritates me  when someone posts things that are NOT true.   Are they just too lazy to check?  Or are they posting in hopes of changing someone's mind about how they will vote?  Sometimes, I alert them that the post is not true, argue back and forth for a while ... and then they say "well this is how I think".  Hmmm.  So that makes it true?

Usually I just post "this is not accurate" and leave it at that.  I've joined some groups and pages that are inspiring and upbeat and some just because they are funny!  There are also a few videos I get notified about .... Mike Rowe, Ellen and Claire Crosby ... a now 6 year old with the most wonderful voice and a personality to match.  I get chills every time I listen to her.  The whole family is amazing.

UGLY.  Posting photos and verbiage of mass murderers.  Do NOT give them any publicity.

In my humble opinion.




5 comments:

  1. Facebook really shows you who people are, doesn't it. What's good about it is the connections we can make and keep with people far away. What is bad about it is the advertisements and posted articles that may or may not be true. And fact checking? The ones I know post stuff that's a lie don't believe the fact checking sites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ads don't bother me much. The "you might be interested in" pages that show up (in groups it seems) DO bother me but I take the time to to get rid of them.

    NOT CHECKING for truth? That bothers me. There are other ways to check facts than using Snopes or Fact Check. People would rather spread lies (because it fits with their agenda) than take the time to verify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook can be so addicting, at least to me. I find myself scrolling through it and look up and see I've been on it for 30 minutes. I generally avoid the political rants of people and have several friends I snooze for 30 days at a time because their political posts are so much and so toxic I get tired just seeing them. I would imagine with the next election coming up its going to get worse before better. I agree, don't give mass murderers any recognition on any social media platform.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, enjoy facebook for all the right reasons. And, I despise the negativity, the downright meanness... people like that get blocked from my acct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy FB for the many Positives and just don't engage in the Negatives on Purpose. The controversial thrown out there is likely meant to engage either support or argument, or attract attention, I just prefer to be a Drama Free Mama and opt out. *Smiles* I've found that some people can't handle The Truth, or can't tell the difference between accurate information and fabrications.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...