Tuesday, August 20, 2019

ROGUE and ROWDY

Four days and three nights the parents were away.  Oh!  The things we did.

One of the days, a WLLO member needed a ride to Fred Meyer.  I contacted her ahead of committing to say I would need to bring the boys but they are usually well behaved.  She agreed.  She brought them each a little bag of chocolate covered graham crackers and the comic section of a few Sunday newspapers.  They were ECSTATIC!  We spent a good 90+ minutes and got a few more school outfits.  And yet another Call of Duty action figure.

 (One is a rapper and the other is a preppie)

My WLLO member was duly impressed when the boys each carried in a bag for her and I got the other two. They really are pretty good kids.  Yes, they are spoiled but they are not rotten.

We are teaching them how much energy goes in to having a family home.  They emptied the trash and recycling every day.  Together they empty the dishwasher.  One washed the dining table and gave it a Pledge promise.  Mr. 5 cleaned the bathroom vanity and mirror.  He was very proud of his accomplishment and scolded us "don't get it all dirty in here again ... that was hard work."  (hee hee ... wait til he gets to wash the toilet and the floor next time).

One afternoon when it was time for dishwasher duty ... the little scoundrels pulled out some Easter "coupons"

They giggled and giggled as I sighed and whined and loudly did their chore.

Mostly they are pretty good about cleaning up the living room before dessert.  Mr. 5 was extra tired one day and didn't want to help.  Mr. Thinks He's a Parent said "set the timer, Gramma, set the timer!" because he knows it stresses the younger one.  But he did it anyway.  With tears in his big blues, Mr. 5 started picking up.  I suggested that we race and we would see who is faster.  He giggled and it got done.  Then he turned to me and said "what is YOUR chore, Gramma?" and I said I clean the table and set it for breakfast, then do the dishes and clean the kitchen.  "Well.  Tell me when you start so I will set the timer and see how YOU like it".

I really spoiled them ... I let them pick Twinkies and SnoBalls for dessert one night.  They have NEVER had that junk before.  Loved it!

Right before the parents left, we sold the old bed set up (not really designed as a two person bunk bed)

It was like the pic above when Mr. 8 was little, then we flipped it so he was on top bunk and it was a little clubhouse underneath.  When Deacon came along, he slept on a crib mattress on the bottom, then we got a real twin mattress 
and Braeden wanted the bottom.



Now they have a trundle bed so parents no longer rip their fingernails or bump their heads when changing the sheets!






8 comments:

  1. Those boys would wear me out. You are such a good grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any little people would wear us out. Maybe because I live with, I could handle a little more than usual. Now we know why children are giving to the young!!!

      Delete
  2. I can remember when I stayed with 3 of the grandchildren while their parents were touring Ireland. They were so good about cleaning and picking up. Karen also home schooled them and taught them their catechism. I didn't do too badly with the school part, but not being Catholic, I was totally lost with the catechism. Luckily for me, they knew what they were doing. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOME SCHOOL? Yowza! I told kidults the next vacation without kids is their HONEYMOON. Maybe that would entice them to legalize everything!

      Delete
  3. Hostess Sno Balls... Yum! I've been craving them for some reason but all I saw the last time I spotted them in the store were ones with blue frosting/coconut. I want them in white:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deekie got ORANGE ones! Just as overly sweet as I remember them!

      Delete
  4. I think grandchildren need a bit of spoiling and extra treats, especially if the parents aren't around. I think you did great taking care of them when their parents were gone. My kids had bunk beds for a bit. It was such a pain to change the sheets plus when son broke his arm, daughter couldn't climb to the top bunk because of a disability she had. So we had to buy a cot for him to temporarily sleep in. I do like the idea of a trundle bed. Daughter had one growing up and loved when she had sleepovers.

    You all are raising great young men there with their ability to do age appropriate chores and helping out others!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunk beds save space but everything else about them stinks! With a bit more donating of less used toys, their room will be just right. They already call it their Club House.

      Montessori encourages even MORE self sufficiency ... stay tuned!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...