Sunday, January 26, 2020

CALENDAR GIRL DUTIES

I can't believe how quickly a month goes by.  I dread the end of each month ... but not for long ... just two more months.

It's difficult to get people to turn in their information on time.  Even Board members.  Days/times get double booked and it is embarrassing for me to "tell" (not ask) a host to choose a different day even though Happy Hour has been the second Wednesday of the month for the past two years.

I maintain a spreadsheet by date, mind you, so that Council members and hosts  can see what has been scheduled.  Yet many still don't check their first and then choose their date.

This past week was busy with WLLO and I took myself to my room and had a serious talk.  I have a list of things I currently do and then I made a list of what I enjoy doing.  I sent it to the top three of our future Governing Council with the caveat that if I get my mojo back, I can always volunteer for more.

Since I became a severe social Introvert, I don't want to be in charge of anything.  I want to be a helper or behind the scenes.  My FAVORITE part of WLLO is providing services for the members!

Recently the current Chair scheduled an event at our condo clubhouse ... but didn't check with me (or other resident who is WLLO Council) about availability .... and the room is booked ALL day by three different activities!  Now she is in a tither to find another space.

Last but not least ... I posted an ad for a Virtual Office volunteer so it's not just two of us handling everything.  Within 3 days we had three potential helpers!  The current Chair met one of them who attended our monthly informational coffee get together and now wants her to be Volunteer Coordinator!  Slow down.  She volunteered for one day a week not a full time job!  Based on previous experiences, let's work with a new volunteer and once we know their skills and personality and desires, then we can ask if they would like more responsibilities.  But curren Chair is not listening.  She told me she is still in charge until April 18 and is working towards the sustainability of the Village, not just office.

Back to the calendar work. Not a very happy volunteer right now.

5 comments:

  1. I would not like to work with others who don't see the logic of finding out the skill level of a volunteer before offering her/him the head job or with people who don't check availability of using a room before scheduling something in that space. I'm with you about volunteering, I want to be worker not in charge of anything.

    By the way, my blog roll updater is not working in your side bar or in anyone else's. I wish I had a clue how to fit it. It looks like I haven't posted recently when I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird! I just deleted yours and re-added it. Still not working! Let us know what you discover as it will probably happen to us.

    The three ladies who have volunteered to be Co-Chair and Vice Chair, are now sharing their stories of each of them QUITTING because of the current Chair. They are cheering me on, offering to help and reminding be just 11 more weeks .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need to apply for the Chair position.

      Delete
    2. Never! She puts in 80 hours a week. Next in command puts in about the same. I'm doing 30-40 and while a lot of it is online and done when I want, it's just too much.

      We have two ladies currently on the Council volunteering to do co-chair and and another for Vice Chair .... a great combo of talents and personality. They are already buttering me up .... because they have ALL been in this boat and they have all QUIT ... and returned after pep talks from most of the Council. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Seems like a nightmare trying to keep the calendar up, especially if people don't reference it when scheduling events. Sounds like you'll be glad when these next 2 months pass by and you'll be free of some of your obligations. I'm like you; I like to help out but I never want to be in charge :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...