Thursday, October 10, 2019

THE INCREDIBLE EGG

I love eggs!

I love them in any shape or form.  I love them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Dessert if it is a homemade custard or pudding.


My first choice is poached.  While in Maui, before I had free electricity, I learned how to poach one in the microwave.  Simply one half cup of water in a coffee mug, add egg, put paper towel over the top and microwave for 60 seconds.  I would flip it over when finished in microwave while I buttered my toast.  PERFECT.  And now I love to spread my toast with avocado then plop the egg on top.


Mr. Ralph loved soft boiled eggs or coddled eggs.  I would make them for dinner twice a month or more.  For Christmas one year I got him a complete soft boiled egg kit ... little egg cups, an egg topper (cuts off the top), tiny spoons and a device we just put in the pot with the egg and VOILA it changed colors when your eggs were just the way you want them.

For lunch I make egg salad or simply slice a hard boiled egg, add a bit of mayo and some salt and pepper ... open faced on a slice of Killer Dave's many grain bread ... toasted.


Scrambled eggs are best done at home so they remain soft and creamy.

Deviled eggs are my go to for potlucks.  Inexpensive and there is never one left over. I line the egg carton with Saran Wrap, spray with Pam, and put the deviled egg halves back in.  Some I put on top of the divider, then stick in parsley or whatever greens I have on hand.  No dish to remember to bring home. (Always save an extra carton or two)


The Mayo Clinic website says:  "Most healthy people can eat up to seven eggs a week with no increase in their risk of heart disease. Some studies have shown that this level of egg consumption may actually prevent some types of strokes".

So go ahead and enjoy that quiche!  Or Toad in a Hole!  Chinese Tea Eggs! Scotch eggs!

Gotta go now.  I'm hungry.

9 comments:

  1. I love eggs, too. But I've never had a poached egg in my life and I don't like runny eggs. I always order scrambled eggs in restaurants to make sure I don't get soft fried eggs. I bought a boiled egg machine and I love it. Glad to know I can have up to seven a week!! For awhile eggs were on the no-no list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every other year "they" say eggs are bad. Coffee is bad. Wine is bad. Meat is bad. Everything in moderation! Remember when your Mom or Grandma used to save all the bacon grease?

      Delete
  2. Yum! You're making me hungry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Mr. 9 loves over medium eggs ... on a bacon toast sandwich. He loves the mess! I'm gonna poach an egg soon!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you. A boiled (6 minutes) egg on toast with some salsa is my go-to breakfast. I just made 2 qts of pickled eggs. Eggs are a great source of nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggs are just perfect! Lots of protein, tiny bit of carbs and helps me feel full til the next meal. Except I do not like anything pickled! Olives (if they count as pickled)

    What shall I make this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love eggs. And since I cannot cook embroiled eggs to save my life I need to get an egg cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love eggs. I have a hard boiled one every morning with an instant oatmeal usually maple sugar. Lately I have been getting eggs Benedict when we go out for brunch. So versatile how they can be made. My mom made us soft boiled eggs and I have never ever been able to duplicate them. Now I too am hungry and I had a big dinner.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I did scrambled in the microwave. Nice and creamy with a hint of pepper.

      The WLLO Village now has a Breakfast Out Club and we are going to a place with the BEST eggs Benedict. I can't wait!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...