Sunday, December 22, 2013

SPUR OF THE MOMENT

In the past, I haven't been very good about spur of the moment activities.  I like to be at my best, physically and mentally, to be social.  Fresh from a shower.  Clothes that make me feel good.  A good hair day.  And time to wrap my blond head around the event.


Widowhood is changing my thinking.  This week I had two opportunities to meet up with a friend on the spur of the moment.  

Just as I was finishing my first cup of coffee, Nancy called and with just a bit of panic in her voice, asked if she could come over and take me out for coffee.  She is in the middle of a huge home renovation and I think things were finally getting to her.  I warned her that I hadn't showered, had bed head hair and was dressed like a wash woman.  And I went.  Turned out to be a great day, thanks to the start of my day.  She is the closest thing I have to a big sister.

Today, Leslie called first thing in the morning with some big heavy happenings to discuss.  My advice is always free and I feel like she is my little sister ... going through things that happened to me many moons ago.  Later in the day, after her hubby left for work, she called to see if I wanted to run errands with her.  She is always so interesting to talk with (not always the superficial chit chat) so I cast aside my plans to make spaghetti and meatballs and said YES!  We ran her errands then decided to bring home Chinese for dinner.  And continued our conversation about husbands (she's a newlywed), girlfriends, cooking, Maui, kids, holidays, new apps, good books to read and other important world problems.

Yep.  I'm learning to be spur of the moment!


3 comments:

  1. I've never been a spur of the moment kind of person either, but I can see where being more flexible can help your social life. Good for you for grabbing the opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spur of the moment is so NOT me. But I've learned a lot from you ... when someone calls with an invitation .... I usually say yes (while clutching my lion for courage).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not spur of the moment either, by nature. But since moving to Maui, and especially in the last few years, I've learned I have to either MAKE the opportunities or grab them as they come around. Putting aside my natural introvert tendencies has given me courage! Thanks for spending your, and your time, on ME!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...