Sunday, December 22, 2013

DIET OF THE DAY


It's been interesting to remember all of the eating trends throughout my adult life.  I think the first one I remember (mainly for the scandal afterwards) was The Scarsdale Diet.  A very rigid regime allowing only certain foods at certain meals.  
Then I started thinking about so many more that were a fad for a while but seem to vanish after a year or two.  Cabbage soup diet.  Atkins.  South Beach.  The Zone.  Mediterranean Diet.  Eating for Your Blood Type.  And then the Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, etc kind where you have to buy their food.  Yuck.  I actually tried Nutrisystem ... for two weeks.  Double yuck.

But now the trend seems to be "gluten free."  Unfortunately, many people who have jumped on this are NOT doing it for health reasons.  People who HAVE celiac suffer dire consequences even with just a teaspoon of wheat or other offending food in a big recipe.  The trendy people who make all sorts of noise and commotion about "remember, I am gluten free" often enjoy a slice of bread while dining with me.  Um ... that's not gluten free, you are just following a FAD.  "Just one piece of pie" means you are not GF.  Just sayin.

The only "diet" I think has stood the test of time?  Weight Watchers.  And I need to get back on it.

3 comments:

  1. Amen on the gluten free words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not gluten sensitive.

    Weight Watchers works and I've done their program 4-5 times in my life. But the best diet I ever was one was an all liquid diet that I was on before knee surgery for six weeks. I never once got hungry or craved anything. I could have easily stayed on it for life but the doctor wouldn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you mention Weight Watcher's. Your brother-in-law (Jonathan) apparently disagrees. There was almost a big discussion about it on Saturday. He was stopped but it was funny to see how much he didn't like it. I think I am going to go back to not eating sweets and trying to cut back on other items after New Year and see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...